Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   good tire size? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/167472-good-tire-size.html)

RRich 06-08-2003 10:18 AM

good tire size?

Tried a search, confused - lots of differing opinions.

Met a lady with a 2001 Wrangler, 4 cylinder, everything stock - no lift.
She's got the tiny little street 205's on it now.
She'd like to go much bigger, but funds are slim.
What's the biggest size she can go without clearance problems without a lift?

Please note if she should go wider rims with the tires too.
The stock rims - 6"?

The goal is better off-road performance while maintaining streetability and safety.

Thank in advance.

WILL 06-08-2003 10:47 AM

Re: good tire size?

30" for sure, 31" with adjusting steering stops and maybe a little rubbing. 32" if the tire NEVER gets stuffed.

lindy80cj7 06-08-2003 10:47 AM

If she puts bigger tires on without regearing she won't be able to afford the gas.

LEVE 06-08-2003 11:01 AM

1. I wouldn't go bigger than [*] 30"[*] 31" if never going off road
2. Try a[*] 15x7 wheel [*] 4" backspacing
3. That should work well with perfectly with a 10.5" wide tire.

RRich 06-08-2003 06:08 PM

Sounds like the consensus is 30 x 10.5 on 7" wheels?

Yes, she goes off road quite a bit. We went on a run Sat and I was really impressed with how she handled it with those skinney little tires. Big rocks, ravines, deep sand - she got the max out of those 205's.

He He - and she's good looking too!

**DONOTDELETE** 06-08-2003 06:14 PM

you could always do like i'm gonna, just fire up the sawzall and go to town on the wheel wells. gonna try to make room for 32's. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] should be fun.

andy.

SpazYJ2 06-08-2003 09:06 PM

If it's not against the rules of the road there (konachief), why not go ahead and just take the fenders off completely, and you will definitely have enough room up front.

GeeAea 06-08-2003 09:40 PM

I'd go with a 235/75r15. The stock rims are fine with it. It has much less mass than the 30" ...and has within .2"=/- of the same height (both are really 28.xx in height)...is widely available at about 60% the cost of the 30". Cash and carry Generals are anywhere from $36-60 depending on how "LT" they are. I doubt that you'll see a BFG in a 30" for under $100 mounted and balanced (some scam that BFG has with the retailers).

I believe that the stock wheels are 15x7 (they actually measure 16x8).

I'd recommend getting a set of cheap 15x7 alloys (jeep oem) used on ebay. They are readily available at very reasonable $$$ since everyone wants 15x8. The weight reduction should offset the added tire mass/height. With the 4 banger I would think that tall and skinny would be the way to go.

BTW- YOU CAN FIT 33" tires under the stock TJ WITHOUT ANY LIFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it. Now it looks like a bloated rollerskate ..but it works JUST FINE. The 33x9.50 does require a 15x8" wheel .........and the steering stops WILL have to be adjusted ONLY BECAUSE THE RADIUS OF THE TIRE IS SO MUCH larger than the 28.x" ..30" tire.

A simple spacer lift or 1" body lift makes it work just fine ....you can't flex ...but the ground clearance is the same. Again ..if you go with the 235's ....they're the only thing that you have to buy.

Sycho15 06-09-2003 12:27 PM

I'd say a 30x9.5" tire is going to be her best bet. 31s would fit but that 4-cyl will have trouble spinning up on the street and it will kill her mileage. Stock rims should be 15x7 and will fit these tires just fine. High-Tec Retreading has some nice tires in the sizes you are looking for. $40/each for 30s and $45/each for 31s. Everything from AP, AT, MT, and OTR tread designs (I really like the looks of the OTRs). I got a set of 30x9.5 APs for my daily-driver '89 Comanche and promptly drove them to Tellico and back, a 640+ mile trip each way. They rode fine and performed decently on the trails. They cost me $230 shipped to my door.

Now... if she ends up wanting a set of aluminum rims, go to the junkyard and grab a set of Ford Ranger or Bronco II rims. They should run you about $20/each. Get aggressive 31x10.5" tires for them and she'll have a seperate set of street tires and trail tires.

Here's a picture of my Comanche with the rims I'm talking about. It's got worn-out LT235/75R15s in this picture. The 30s look much nicer. The 237/75s do have much less mass, and most of this is in the side-wall area and I wouldn't skimp there...
http://tellico.off-road.com/wwwthrea...-comanche2.jpg

**DONOTDELETE** 06-09-2003 02:41 PM

"31s would fit but that 4-cyl will have trouble spinning up on the street and it will kill her mileage."

Really? I've got 30's right now and plan on upgrading to 32's soon. If you say 31's are bad on mileage and hard on the 4 cyl I can only imagine how bad it would be for 32's. Can anyone else confirm this to be true?

With my 30's I believe I'm getting around 20 MPG.