Off Roading Forums banner

Drag link?'s for high steer d-44

571 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  MNT 
#1 ·
Drag link?\'s for high steer d-44

I've just finished outboarding my axles on my '80 CJ-7 and put a d-44 from a '76 waggie under it. The swap looks good and I will get some pics soon.

I am having problems with the steering linkage however. I have the flat top knuckles with the top mounted steerng linkage, but I am having problems making the drag link fit. The ball joint is too big for my OEM pitman arm, and if I use the waggie pitman arm, it mounts the drag link too low and too far back, causing it to bind on the tie rod. The drag link is also a bit too long, but I think I can cut more threads on it and shorten it up. Any sugestions or pics?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Re: Drag link?\'s for high steer d-44

mine did this alittle... i used a pitman arm from a mid 70's dodge truck.. it was about an inch shorter.. and it had plenty of beaf on it.. so i could ream it out for the tie rod end...
as for the length.. i didnt have problems.. i used a stock wagoneer drag link setup.. and then the tie rod.. i used two of the short tie rod ends... took that long one.. and cut the tie rod end off of it.. turned it down... just enough to beat it into an adjuster sleeve.. then welded the sleeve onto it.. screwed in the short tie rod end.. just keep in mind.. both tie rod ends will be right hand thread when doing this.. but it worked wonderfully..
i hacked up the long rod end since that was the most expensive.. so i could just get replacements from the junkyard.. on the cheap..

#3 ·

How is your turning radius? I have a waggie 44 in my YJ and the radius is horrible. (using a YJ pitman arm) I was thinking of using straightening the waggie arm so it didn't hang up on the drag link and would give me a better radius. A little worried about the steering geometry though.

TIA

#4 ·

Thanks! Did you use a 2wd or 4wd? I looked at both today and I think the 2wd is the one that I want. How did you ream out the arm to accept the taper of the wagie ball joint? It apears to be a little larger than the Dodge.

I like your idea of the drag link. I was also thinking about getting threads cut on the other end so you could adjust it.

What did you do for shock mounts?

Thanks

#5 ·

i used the stock shock mounts.. my turning radius was awesome.. could turn around on a 2 lane road.. i took the pitman arm to a machine shop...
i just ordered a reamer a few days ago.. was like $55.. from snap on..
well i thought i had the part number here.. but i dont see it.. and since my computer crashed.. i have since lost everything..
i have some pics on my site.. of the draglink...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.