Thinking of selling Jeep - need honest opinions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Thinking of selling Jeep - need honest opinions...

I am comming to the conclusion that I am going to sell my Jeep. I love the ol' girl but I just don't have the time to work on it anymore let alone drive it. Now that I am living in Downtown Seattle I don't have any good place to keep it either.

I am looking for some opinions/advice on how much I might be able to sell it for.

My Jeep is a 1970 CJ5. Drivetrain wise it has a Chevy 4.3L V6, a T-14a 3-speed (Replaced about 2 years ago), Dana 18 XC, Warn Overdrive, Dana 27 (I think that is what is stock on this model) and a Dana 44 rear with solid axles.

I have had a custom front cross member put on it by George the Jeep and his buddy in Covington, WA. This was done to allow for a '72 grill that would take a raditor large enough to cool the 4.3L. The raditor is from Mepco 4x4 in Utah and is specifically designed with the input/output on the correct side for the 4.3L.

I recently put a Painless Harness in it. I have a few switches that are dead that need replacing but otherwise the wiring is done. Along with the project I made a customer dash with Autometer Phantom Gauges (Tac, Speedo, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Volt, Fuel and Clock). The dask is 1/8" Steel Diamond plate powder coated semi-gloss black.

Honestly its drawbacks are:

1) Engine - Not sure how many miles are in it. It could be good to go for a while but I am not sure.

2) Top - The Besttop tiger top is getting fairly tired. Windows are scratched bad and many snaps are ripped out. Stays on fine but doesn't look the best.

My little brother bought it around 1999 for 3300. I took it over about a year later after I blew the tranny and had to replace it.

This is most of it's story. Any body have any good/bad/indifferent opinions for me?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 06:42 PM

Re: Thinking of selling Jeep - need honest opinions...

I`m embarressed to say what I paid for my Jeep and ashamed to say how much I`ve put into it. I could NEVER
expect any kind of return for what I`ve invested which is why I don`t ever plan to sell it. All of the goodies
and mods we add are only icing on the cake for someone looking to buy. When I found my Jeep, I was able to
haggle the guy down $2000 and I still paid more than I should have. What all this means is:

) Don`t expect any return on your investment.
) You may be able to get a small premium over what you paid originally by explaining your upgrades to a
potential buyer.
) It really depends on what the buyer is looking for.

If I were in your shoes, I would list it on E-bay with a reserve price for what your willing to part with it for
and see what happens. Honestly, as you`ve described it, I`d say you`d be lucky to get $2500-3000. And
that may even be a bit optimistic. Hopefully you`ll get someone like me that will want it bad enough to look
past the price [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

So I got the Jeep right up to the point where I needed it before I could sell it and then took it out for a little trail ride with my buddy and his Rubicon. As a result I am reborn as a Jeep enthusiast. I may not have a lot of time to work on it or drive it right now but I am going to keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

Excellent choice.
Even though I'm pretty new to all this, I think I'd sell a kidney before my Jeep.
Hmmmm, anyone want to trade a nice 4" lift for a slightly used kidney? Make me an offer.

Glad you've decided to keep it, and I'm sure you are too.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode