Transfer Case (pill Insert) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transfer Case (pill Insert)

I have been trying to find out how to put back in the Shift Rod Interlok (I Pill). It does not say in the manual. I have a 1971 CJ5 V6 225 single stick transfer case. can anyone help me on this matter. I dont see how it stays in place. I see two notches for it but what holds it in there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 04:05 PM

Re: Transfer Case (pill Insert)

The pill floats between the two rails and moves in and out of the divits in the rods during shifting. From what I remember about taking the pill out I had to keep moving the rods in different positions until I could pull the rods out. Since you have it out why don't you twin stick it? There's plenty of good write ups including mine [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2003, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea that is what I have heard. please show me this write up. is in on this web page. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2003, 08:34 AM

Here's a paragraph from the writeup. I don't know how to post the link but do a search and put in, Twin stick Pigpgen, Search options = AND, then select all posts. It's from 2001 and there are some pictures.

In order to get the full benefit of this modification the transfercase must be first taken apart to REMOVE THE SHIFT RAIL INTERLOCK PILLS. Failure to do this will make the Twin stick setup useless.
Parts needed:
Twin sticks from Dana 18, assorted stock D20 linkage parts, 1/2 inch bolt 4 1/2inch long, lock nut and 1/2 inch nylon washers of various thicknesses, and 1/16 inch flat metal stock.
Tools needed: Drill(Drill Press was also used but it not needed), torch (for heating and bending), sawsall(to cut the metal stock), grinder(to clean up the metal stock), driLl bits, hammer, tape measure, etc.

I removed all the old Dana 20 linkage and then heated up and bent the u bracket on the pipe to gain more clearance for the first stick to be centered in front of the shift rail. Then I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the u bracket for the shaft to hold the twin sticks. The sticks were then placed on the shaft with nylon washers in between. After seeing the location I needed to heat and bend the sticks so that the ends were in line with the shifter rails. After bending them I drilled holes so that I could reuse the Dana 20 linkage pins. I then drilled matching holes in the sides of the shift rails themselves so the linkage would line up. I then measured the distance and cut and drilled the metal stock to created the correct distance for the linkage. I reused the old D20 pins and assorted washers to put it all together.
The setup works great and allows the following combinations:
Front 2 wheel high
Front 2 wheel low
Rear 2 wheel high
Rear 2 wheel low
Front/Rear 4 high
Front/Rear 4 low
It is also possible to do Rear high and Front Low and vise virsa however you will most likely explode the transfercase. ie DO NOT DO!

This setup will move the sticks over 2-3 inches towards the passenger side. I am looking for a boot to work as the old standard Dana18 boot may not work due to the lower pivot point of the levers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode