no power in 4 or 5 gear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

no power in 4 or 5 gear

I just did a low end rebuild, reworked the head, new carb. The jeep does good in gears 1-3, but in 4 it struggles to get over 60 mph on speedometer, and in 5, just think about a hill bogs down pretty hard. Also pulled a bunch of vacuum lines. Any ideas as to why no power? The motor does have 176000+ miles on it. I have 33 x 12.50 tires too. I am not sure of the gears either, as I bought this at a auction. 89 4.2L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 01:53 AM

Re: no power in 4 or 5 gear

timing retarded perhaps? w/those tires, it doesn't surprise me you can't get up to speed.i can barely hit 75 w/31's & stock gearing in my 89YJ.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 06:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess the first question that needs to be asked is, how was the power in 4th and 5th before the rebuild and what vacuum lines did you pull? It does sound like a timing problem...maybe related to vac advance. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I remember being able to do 70 75 on the highway.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2003, 07:41 PM
tkcomer

If you have pulled a bunch of vacuum lines, it is time for the Nutter bypass. You need to take the computer out of the loop. The computer will limit you to about 3000 RPMs. Also, are still running the Carter BBD? That can cause problems also. Did you put the 33s on after the rebuild? That will take a lot of power away. We need a little more info.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Yes, still have the carter carb. Actually just put a new one on it. If I would have known prior, I wouldn't have replaced the old one, but would have probably gone with the weber. I have read a bit on the nutter bypass, but am afraid I would mess something up if I tried to do it. When I bought the jeep it had the 33's on it. This was prior to the rebuild. It would run in 4 and 5 pretty good.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 08:26 AM
Way Outta Control

Just another, more simple scenario...
1. While the Jeep sat for the rebuild,
2. No heat was in the Cat Converter to burn out moisture,
3. It rusted, and fell apart,
4. And on hills, restricts the exhaust.
5. Have the backpressure checked.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 11:47 AM

The Nutter Bypass is quite simple, in the end. Don't be intimidated just because you hear the words "electrical work" or "wiring", etc. All it is is getting those metering pins to come forward all the way, cutting two wires out of the harness, rerouting them, and unplugging the stepper motor harness from your carter. It took me probably 8 or 9 minutes, and my YJ has sinced performed smoothly to 4000rpm, on the rare ocassions when I need it to.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2003, 07:29 PM
tkcomer

My pins were centered on my Carter when I did the bypass. And the Carter actually ran pretty good at the time. Before the bypass, a hill I went up going home, whatever speed I started at the bottom was what I was running at the top in 4th gear. After the bypass I could pick up speed in 4th going up that hill. And 5th became more usable. The Nutter is easy. It took me more time trying to put the wires in that plastic loom than the actual work that I did to bypass the ‘puter. Just hook the distributor up to port vacuum, retime and you’re good to go. And my windshield washer started to work after I took the fluid bottle out and put it back in. Must have had a bad connection. And if you take your time, you can pull the wiring out of the plastic loom, cut the ‘puter wiring out, and loose a bunch of wires, along with all those vacuum lines. It will really clean up the engine bay. Just my $.02
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Cut the cat out already
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode