350 Engine Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

350 Engine Swap

I have an 88 YJ with the 4.2L in it. It burns oil leaks oil, the list goes on. Needless to say i need a new engine. I would like to drop a 350 in there. Please help me if you know what i need to do in the conversion process and if you know of where i can get a good crate 350 to put in it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 08:00 AM
Old Hand

Re: 350 Engine Swap

I don't know a lot about YJ's, but some of the things you didn't list that you need to think about are:

TRANNY what do you have? Most factory Jeep trannys won't hold up to a healthy 350 for long. If you have a good tranny then price an adapter bellhousing or a tranny to bellhousing adapter. And along those lines, if you need a beefier gear box, you'll need to look at adapter prices for the t-case which run a minimum of about 400 bones plus the cost of your tranny.

AXLES If your factory, the Dana 35 won't withstand V8 punishment for very long either. I've run my Dana 30 for a while in front of a 350, but I'm pretty light on the skinny pedal and I'm still just waiting for it to go.

COOLING Your 4.2 radiator may or may not handle the cooling of a 350 (mine does fine, some of the guys I go with had to go high dollar conversion) but at the very least you'll have to have the return hose on the bottom switched over.

MOTOR MOUNTS Someone else will have to pipe in here. I built mine, but there are alot of quality and fairly simple mounts out there.

Lastly, If your going to do it, think about a factory motor with FI (alot more work with wiring, etc... but you'll probably want to do it down the road anyway).

I love my V8 Jeep, but its kind of a constant project, and anytime anything breaks, its a bit more of a headache to fix. Just my .02 on the matter.

[img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 06:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is great information. Is there a company that sells these parts at a reasonable price, i could really use the help. i am looking at a cj-7 or cj-5 and need the power. thanx [img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 07:01 PM

Im doing one now.

$850.00 Used TBI 350 w/100k miles
$1400.00 Rebuilt beefed up 700r
$400.00 Novak 700r/d300 adaper
$100.00 Novak motor mounts
$200.00 Lokar shifter
$200.00 Griffen generic alum radiator

I still hvae to pay for an exhaust system and find a fuel pump.

Then all the misc.

Novak/advanced adapters has info.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 11:11 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Use the search feature. All the info you need has been dicussed. Read all you can and then ask Questions. Thats what I did and I don`t think I spent alot for my conversion. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 11:23 PM

I say go w/ a rebuilt 4.0L that has been stroked to about 4.6 to 4.9, depending on bore. It was discussed here about a week ago or so. It should save you a big, LARGE amount of money on all the adapters, etc, and you still have great engine that is much lighter than an 8 cyl, and probablly more fuel efficent.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 10:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for you help. I can get working on it right now. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2003, 02:43 PM
BigUgly

Been there, Done that, Got the Tshirt and used it to wipe off the gear lube from the other parts of the stock drive train within the next 6 months! Here's the link about my conversion. 258 to 350 $$$$$$$$$ I've heard that a `82 on Camaro radiator would fit the YJ's. But, if you don't upgrade the rest of the drivetrain now, <font color="red"> YOU WILL, </font color> later. I have people ask about my 383 ci Chebby all the time.

I tell them if they want a Chevy engine find a donor fuel injected 305 these go for a dime a dozen. Get all the wiring and the computer. Then, after upgrading the rest of the drivetrain, you can bild the killer engine.
Another thing you need to remember, is with the Federal emission laws, if you want to drive this on the road and plate it you need the emission equipment still intacted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode