Its for sale, 1977 CJ-5 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Its for sale, 1977 CJ-5

I'm posting this early so I can get a feel if there is any interest here. It will be back in Northbrook, IL no later than May 10th. Right now its in Macomb, IL and it will be at the Badlands Bash. Here's what its got...

-1977 CJ-5
-White fiberglass body w/ steel fenders, hood, grille, and windshield frame. All of this is less than 5 years old.
-High back seats
-Herculined interior
-Locking steel ammo can center console w/CB radio wiring
-Brand new dash panel painted black
-CB antenna

Drivetrain is as follows
-304 V8 with a year old rebuilt MC2100 carb
-K&N air filter
-Jacobs pro-street ignition (with stock coil still in place if wanted, but why?)
-York OBA with large tank under body
-Fenderwell headers with Cherry Bomb mufflers
-2 year old alternator
-2 year old radiator
-T-18 tranny with 6.32:1 granny low
-Brand new hydraulic clutch designed by a race car team less than 500 miles ago....flywheel was resurfaced at the same time
-Dana 20 transfer case with 2 low....this case needs swapped out and I'll give you a good replacement. I haven't had time to swap it yet.
-Dana 30 front with Warn hubs and disk brakes, plus skid protection. I also have spare axle shafts for this ready to install.
-Custom steering setup with heavy duty drag link mounted ON TOP of the steering knuckle and UNDER the pitman arm. This is completely parrallel to the ground and axle
-New tie rod and ends
-Power steering conversion with heavy duty '76 style box and brace
-AMC 20 rear with 1 peice axles and the tubes welded to the pumpkin. This is stronger than a Dana 44. Installed is a Lockrite locker. I also have the original 2 peice axles as spares with backing plates pressed on and ready to install.
-Dual battery setup with constant duty solenoid isolation system (I only have one battery at this time)
-Ramsey RE8000 winch, rebuilt a year ago mounted on custom made front bumper. Front bumper also has shackle mounts and driving light mounts.
-Winch has new 150 feet of 5/16ths cable
-Custom rear bumper with oversize spare tire rack and Hi-Lift mounting points. Also included is a mount for a ball reciever. Very heavy duty, covered in diamondplate.
-6 point full roll cage tied into the frame
-Almost new 33x12.5x15 BFG M/T with less than 500 miles on them. Still look brand new.
-4" SUA lift with new poly bushings in the springs
-Custom made crossmember and skid plate protects from rear of oil pan to rear of transfer case. Very heavy duty. Increases clearence over 2" from stock.
-Heavy duty 1" lift shackles
-Trailmaster SSV shocks
-1/4 inch angle rocker guards

ALL WIRING IS LESS THAN A MONTH OLD. I rewired this entire Jeep using a Centech harness including all knobs and switches very recently. I also replaced the starter solenoid, voltage regulator, and bought a BRAND NEW Die Hard battery. Everything works amazingly except the stock heater blower which needs replaced. It can easily be upgraded. There are more than enough ground wires in this whole Jeep to keep things working perfectly.

-Black Bestop Super Top. Less than 2 years old, still in perfect condition. No rips or tears an fits very well.

I am selling this to fund an XJ project. It is a great vehicle and VERY fun to drive. This does not ride like a Caddilac but its not a bad ride. If you enjoy the sound of a rumbling V-8 this is the vehicle for you. This Jeep is overpowered if anything. If interested I can email pictures. Feel free to ask me any questions. The milage on the spedometer is around 38,000 but original milage is probly more around 80,000. I switched spedometers for the older style when I re-did the dash panel.

Now for the important part, I am asking $6,500 for the Jeep and all the extras including the spare transfer case, the spare axle shafts, and any other spare parts I have laying around for this that you may want. I have a Levi Edition rear seat that can be had for extra. Its not mountable in the Jeep in its condition, as it is missing all the mounting hardware. It would make a great couch though. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call me at (847)323-4072.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Its for sale, 1977 CJ-5

Here are a few pictures. Sorry about them being different sizes but I'm sure ya'll will get over it.
The first one is me sitting in it. I'm 6'2" to get an idea of size.

This is the front end, you can see the custom front bumper and winch kinda. I can get a better pic if wanted.

Here is the back with the rear bumper and tire carrier.

And this last picture was setup and taken by the PO. My Jeep doesn't have the KC lights, the radio antenna, or the side steps. I just want lookers to get an idea of what kind of flex it gets. I haven't ever taken it off-road while I've owned it. Please ask any questions you may have.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I may be interested in purchasing your jeep. I would want to see more pictures, though. I've been looking at a lot of different mid-late 70s CJ5s, and I have a mostly-disassembled one in my pole-building...acquiring one that was running might be nice. I'm within a few hours drive of the Jeep and would probably be interested in seeing it. Here are a few questions:
1. Did you do all the modifications yourself? (Which did you do, who did the others)?
2. Do you have receipts for all of the new parts?
3. Who did the welding on the cage/bumpers/winch mount?
4. What kind of winch is that?
5. I've read some bad things about the Jacobs ignition. Have you had any problems with yours?
6. In searching your posts, you have 'badmouthed' a lot of the parts of the jeep. It seems like you've had a lot of problems with it. Why are you selling it? Is everything on it functional?
7. Do you know how much the "PO" used the jeep off-road? How long it was owned by the PO? What it was used for?
8. What kind of shape is the frame in?
9. Any oil/fluid leaks from the: engine, tranny, t-case, axles, radiator, etc.?
10. Does the OBA work?
11. Why only one battery if it has a dual battery system?
12. From reading your previous posts--did the PO do the dual-battery and winch wiring? Did you rewire those as well?
13. What does "designed by a race car team less than 500 miles ago" mean?

Before setting up a visit, I'd like to see some more pics--please post a few more on the BBS. I'm in-between "normal" e-mail addresses right now, but I can set up a yahoo account or something similar if you want. It's a bit easier for me to just check this site--if that's OK.

Looking forward to your answers,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 12:17 PM

The previous owner of this Jeep was Dean aka FarmJeep and he did the welding work. The power steering, pitman arm, Ramsey RE8000 winch, and Trailmaster SSV shocks came from me (traded the winch which was dead at the time in exchange for him welding up my Scrambler frame). Dean never did anything more than drive through a few fields with it...no heavy off-roading. I got the winch from a guy who used it on a tow truck and Dean went through it and rebuilt it. I think Dean had it up & running for maybe a year or so before he sold it...he drove a pickup truck most of the time. Just throwing in my $.02 of what I know of the Jeep.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2003, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Thanks Jeepskate for your testimony. The PO did a large majority of the work on it. It was already lifted when I got it. The only work I really did on this was the wiring. As for the bad things about the Jacobs ignition, the only problem I've has was with their customer service. The system itself has worked flawlessly and its much better over the original ignition system. Jeepskate hit on the issues of off-road use. The PO lived on a farm so it was mostly just driven through the fields. The frame is in good shape for its age. In all the times I've crawled under it and stared at everything I haven't found a single crack or hole due to rust. There is surface rust but what do you expect from a 26 year old vehicle. A good coating of POR would do a lot of good. I don't have any fluid leaks and have never found any puddles under the Jeep, even after it sat in my garage for a few months. The OBA does work and it works great. The only thing I did with that was change the fittings at the ends of the hoses to a more generic size that I could find at most hardware stores. The reason I only have one battery for the OBA is because thats all I can afford right now. Both of the old batteries were no good and I could only afford to replace one. The vehicle only needs one so not a problem. The PO did do the dual battery and winch wiring. I did not redo that wiring as it was still in good shape, unlike the rest of the 26 year old wires. And as for the last question, soon after I bought the Jeep the clutch linkage broke at the bellhousing. To fix it I would either have needed a new bellhousing or a hydraulic clutch setup. So I decided to go with the hydraulic setup. I had a local shop that builds, designs, and races stock cars build it for me because they were very familiar with the setup. It has worked flawlessly since then and I feel its much better than the orignal system. I did save all the receipts for everything on this Jeep, even down to fuses and fluids. I can show you a list of everything the mechanic did while he was fixing the clutch. He did a lot of work and really improved the vehicle. I am trying to get more pictures as I type this. I will post them back up as soon as I can. As for your email accounts, do whatever is easiest for you.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some more pictures would be great. I'm not so fond of the web-based e-mail systems (hotmail, etc.), and until I get a new, semi-permanent ISP, I'm sticking with this board. If you could post a few more pictures, I'd appreciate it. In particular, I'd like to see:
1) the engine bay
2) under the dash (looking up at wiring/fuse block/back of gauges/heater)
3) closeups of the bumpers/roll cage.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeepskate,
Did you know this guy pretty well then? How has the welding on your frame held up? Would YOU be interested in purchasing this jeep knowing who did the majority of the work on it?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One more question for you:

Have you swapped the axles since you took these pictures? In the pictures, it clearly has 2 piece axleshafts.

Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Nope, I made a typing mistake when I did that. It still does have two peice axles but I have one peice axles ready to be put in. I don't know how to swap axles otherwise I would have done it already. I may or may not swap the axles before I sell it, but either way you'll get a set of one peice axles out of the deal.

I haven't found anybody with a good digital camera to help me out taking pictures yet and my dads camera which I used to take all of those was stolen so I'm still working on getting the photo's. I will be more than glad to take pictures of all of the things you requested. The picture behind the dash might be a hard one though as its a very cramped space with lots of wires. I'll try taking a picture but I can't promise that it'll come out good.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-29-2003, 10:44 PM
Official Historian

Here's some that were posted a few months ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode