Just got back from Moab...... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Just got back from Moab......

I just got back from the Easter Jeep Safari. Here are some of my impressions:

* Many more tube-frame rock buggies than in years' past. Traditional trail rigs like mine are pretty plain.

* I saw the 6 wheeled TJ with Ford 9/Unimog axles. The 6 wheel steering was amazing. It could 'sidewinder' at about a 45 degree angle and had a turning radius of something like 12 feet. It was being used as a promotional vehicle for UROC and while it apparently cost over $100K to build, was pretty cool to see. It went up the dump bump backwards without even a chirp of a tire.

* I saw a wicked roll-over at Potato Salad Hill. Someone had put wheel grease all over the top ledges. The vehicle that rolled hit the large ledges with a lot of throttle and it ended in a double roll. There were over 500 people watching that I'm sure help prod the driver. The hill was steeper than I had remembered from videos I've seen of it.

* My traction bar made a ton of difference on the steep climbs. Last year I was hopping and couldn't get the traction I needed. I made it right up the dump bump this time.

* There are tons of people in moab. I was getting really irratated with the idiots that were tired of waiting on the trails and decided to forge new trails to get around the bottle necks. The ones in the custom rigs surprised me the most. Usually I would expect that from the local rednecks in a stock a pick-up with plenty of beer.

* Rick Russell (sidekick maps/videos) built a bobbed scrambler all from after market parts in two days. It had a 350 V8, 700R4, Atlas II, aluminum body, dynatrac 60s, 37" tires, etc. It was painted yellow and will probably replace his cj6 on the tougher trails at least. It was a really nice rig. I'm sure he had the vendors help prep everything. It was still impressive to see something so clean.

Hopefully my film pics will turn out so I can post a follow-up with pics.

If you haven't been before it is bizarre seeing so many rigs in such a small place. The trais were too crowded and we couldn't even run Pritchett Canyon yesterday on our own because the Sheriff was keeping the general public out until the organized run had their chance at it. I just may have to sign up for some of the runs next year.

Anyone else go this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 02:38 AM

Re: Just got back from Moab......

We didn't want to fight the crowds so we are going up on the 30th. I can't wait!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 10:02 AM

I assume the wheelbase helped you on the dump bump. (I'm sure driving ability helped also) I went down to Moab the first weekend, and I watched a wranger try the dump bump for 15 minutes -didn't make it. I didn't even try. I saw the picture in the magazine of the jeep resting on the spare tire.

There were some jerks there at the dump bump in stretched toyotas looking for jeep carnage. One of them went over to the bypass, and put it in 2wd, and spun to dig a big hole so the "jeeps" couldn't make it. (They actually told us thats what they wrere doing) The guy was like 65. You would think people would grow out of it by that age.

We were able to do Pritchet on the 11th. I think we missed the rush. We didn't sign up for any trails, but were able to do what we wanted. We just scheduled ours around the club runs.

I thought the worst part I saw was White Knuckle Hill on the "Behind the Rocks" trail. We all had to winch up. I wouldn't even go down it unless I was tied on the back. Even winching up, I got hi-centered pretty good - beat up my skit plate pretty back. I got to get one of those clocking rings.
I actually broke a spring hanger and had to come home 1/2 day early.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 10:43 AM

I went for the first time this year.... even though I only live about 90 minutes away. We drove down saturday morning and just took a tour through town and then went straight to potato salad hill.

It was pretty fun watching everything from tube buggies to a ford LTD attempt it. There was a piece of crap toyota truck with no bed that did it something like 7 times before finally rolling. It just so happened that was when we were up top eating lunch.

Got lots of video and some pics. I wasn't expecting such a "spring break" atmosphere. Lots of drunk idiots running around. And it took us almost two hours to get from the parking lot back through town (a couple miles maybe?).

I've been once, I probably won't go back on Easter weekend again. I would rather just go with friends and run the trails and enjoy it. Of course they are doing just that this weekend, but I have a hockey tournament in Wyoming and can't go [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

That's OK, my CJ doesn't have any breaks right now anyway.

P.S. - The 6 wheel Jeep was awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode