Off Roading Forums banner

Drilling and tapping of cylinder head required?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RedCJ7 
G
#1 ·
I want to replace the plastic valve cover on my cj7 all of the aftermarket metal ones say drilling and tapping of cylinder head required. What are they talking about? I noticed from pictures that some of them dont use the two center bolts on the top of the cover. Why do you haft to drill and tap the Head and is it that big of a deal?

#3 ·
You'll have to tap a few holes. There's one in the back of the head that can be a PITA to reach if you've got saggy engine mounts or a t-case lowering kit. If it is hard to get a drill in there, you may have to carefully jack up the engine - use a floor jack with a block of wood under the oil pan. Should give you enough clearance.

#4 ·
Since aftermarket valve cover has more than 2 bolts holding it to the head, you have to drill and tap. Mine has 3 'extra' screws on pass. side and 2 on driver's side. Drilling and taping in not that big of a deal, just make sure that you are drilling and tapping to the correct depth and that you are vertical to the head. I think that I got my valve from 4wd.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.