Jeep=Broke - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Jeep=Broke

Well, those lovely straps on the rear-end yoke bit me today. Merging onto the highway, shift into second, hear *bang* bang bang bang. Clutch in as fast as I hear it, pull over. Look underneath, driveshaft hanging down. Reach under to pull it out, and the damn rear housing extension comes with it. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] Sooo, now I get to drill out all the broken screws that *used* to hold the straps, *and* track down a housing extension. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] And tomorrow is Easter Sunday, which means I can't do a damn thing until Monday. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

At least I was able to limp home in front wheel drive. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

I'm hoping I can get the extension locally; the junkyards around here are really slim pickings. Otherwise it's a phonecall to 4wd.com and $46 out of pocket.

I'd *love* to do a SYE and CV Driveshaft, but the $$ is tight. Unless someone here knows of a relatively cheap way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 12:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Jeep=Broke

Yea I had one of those straps break on me too. Luckally I was pulling the Jeep onto the trailer [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] to go home! It messed up the yoke on the drive saft and left half of the bolt in the pinion yoke. Putting the u-bolt kit on however is very simple and I should have done it along time ago
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 02:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I wouldn't even bother tring to repair the pinion yoke by drilling out the bolts. Just go plop down $30 for a new u-bolt style yoke. Then your problem is solved, and MUCH stronger than before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 04:34 AM

I'd have to agree w/jamgood.... after i threw on my 3" lift i got lazy and drove it w/out the transfer case drop... SNAP went the yoke straps. I replaced them w/the ubolt style straps, and don't anticipate having another problem.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, but *where*? That's my other problem; there are no good truck shops around here. Or is there a part number for the stealership?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Re: Jeep=Broke - Update!

Well, the whole shebang is fixed. The broken off transfer case extension housing was kindly donated by some of the coolest mechanics I know. The rest consisted of removing the yoke to drill out the broken off bolts and open the holes up to accept the U-Bolts. The remnants of the straps I threw as far away as I could [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img].

Install a new U-Joint in the drive shaft, and we're in business, right?

Wrong! Now that I'm under the jeep I take a good long look at the rear driveshaft setup. The differential is pointed straight at the transfer case... Huh? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] There's no CV driveshaft here! Loosen up the U-bolts holding the housing to the springs, and start playing with the shims located therein. Remove all of them except for a 4 degreee one, and that results in the best driveline angles I can get with what I have; I see a CV Driveshaft in my future when I do an 8.8 axle swap. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

While I'm down there, let's change fluids in the transfer case and motor. Then lube everything. Then double check all the associated nuts and bolts.

Then the test drive around the block. No ominous sounds, and the ride is *way* smoother than it was before. Go me! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

If I didn't have to work in the firehouse tomorrow it would be miller time. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 09:29 PM
dakota617

What are the u-bolt style straps? Where do you get them and how does it work?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

The stock YJ retainers are these crappy stamped steel straps held in by small bolts.

The upgrade is a pair of U-Bolt retainers, Motormite part Numbber 81004 I believe. You have to drill the holes in the yoke out for them to fit, but they're a lot stronger than the straps.

Theres a write-up here: Yoke U-Bolt Upgrade
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 07:50 PM
dakota617

Thanks for the reply. We had one of the straps break and crack the rear cover of the transfer case. I had not heard of this fix before. I am going to look for the parts to do this tonight....Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode