anyone ever install a clutch disc backwards? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

anyone ever install a clutch disc backwards?

a friend helped me swap a motor today... because of the location i wish i had put the clutch in myself. heres what its doing. petal feels good, petal out no noise, press the petal to the floor and theres a very noticeable friction sound all the way through the motion and the engine acts like its going to stall. it shifts in and out of the gears normally. its the old clutch (w/ 2000 miles) and worked fine before the swap. does it sound like the disc is backwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 08:56 PM

Re: anyone ever install a clutch disc backwards?

The friction sound and the load on the engine suggest throwout bearing in backward. I think that if the disk were in backward it wouldn't release, and you'd be unable to shift.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Yes I did. It was on a '58 MGA. The springs that cushion the clutch engagement caught between the flywheel bolt. They were offset enough that it only went one way. Put it in gear, engine off, clutch pedal depressed and see if you can push it or if it will roll downhill. If not, or if you get noise, I'd say you are rubbing the clutch against the flywheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:13 PM

Nope, never done it [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] but I've heard it can make all kinds of strange sounds.

Yep. thats my story and I'm stick'n to it [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 12:19 AM

Last one I did, I saw that it wouldn't fit flat against the flywheel if you tried to install it backwards. So at least on my CJ, it would be darn near impossible to do wrong unless you were really unobservant.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 10:04 AM
wa1

Machine shop went through my 134 F-head and the guy that did it told me, “ oh by the way I mounted your clutch and pressure plate so you wouldn’t have to bother with it” well after I dropped the motor back in the JEEP all went well. Until I pushed the clutch in while it was running. Boy did it make some NOISE!!!!!! When I took it apart all of the flywheel bolts were almost sheared off, and later all the main bearings went bad due the pressure that was applied to the crank in an awkward direction

John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 01:37 PM

Well from you profile it looks like you have a 351 Ford motor, and the last time I put a clutch in a Ford the disc would not lay flat on the fly wheel,,,,how ever this is not to say it couldn't be done. I have seen some VERY strange things done that were thought NOT to be possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode