dana 300 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

dana 300

i was just wondering are the dana 300 found in a scout and a dana 300 from a jeep different?????i am looking for one to go to a SM465, and all the Adapters say thay are for a jeep DANA 300.thanks for the help [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 07:29 PM

Re: dana 300

the scout D300 had the same bolt pattern as the Jeep D20 tcase. not sure about the input spline count though. And Novak has an adapter for the D20 to SM465 that is only 1" thick. hope this helps Wade
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i can get a dana 300 out of a cj-5 for $100.the only thing that im not to sure about with the dana 300 is how strong is it?im also going to run a v6 so i wont be putting to much power to the ground.it might help to know it's going in a willys MB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Old Hand

The D300 is a very strong gear driven tranfer case. I run mine behind a 350 and sm465 without problems. You'll have no problems with your setup. You'll break axles and driveshafts before you go through a Dana 300.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

$100 is a very good price for a D300. Atleast in my opinion. A V6 shouldn't give it much trouble. The weakest link, and I'm not even really sure if it's that weak, is the output shaft. AA makes an upgraded 32 spline shaft for around $400-500. Kind of a waste is you ask me. I like the D300 because you can slap in a 4:1 gearset for around $600-700. Both Tera and JB make a kit. I prefer the JB kit.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 11:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To answer your initial question, the Scout is different than the Jeep D300. It has a different amount of splines on the input.

You will have no issues with a D300 behind a six.

There is one different year for Jeep D300s. The ones out of 1980 Jeeps have a shorter and stronger output shaft than all the others. The advantage is its a little stronger than the normal shaft and shorter so it gives you a little more driveline length. The disadvantage is that the HD shafts that Teraflex and AA make do not fit the 1980 models. So you cant get the super HD shaft, but the standard one is stronger than normal so you may not need the HD outputs.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 03:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thak you soo much, you guys just made my day [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode