QuadraTac low range unit Question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

QuadraTac low range unit Question.

I'm installing a low range unit on the back of my Q-Trac.The problem is how do I remove the drive slug for lack of a better term from the back of the non low range equiped Q-Trac.It's still in the Jeep so I can't see to good on how it is held in. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 10:03 PM

Re: QuadraTac low range unit Question.

The planetary reduction just slides onto the back of the case so I would imagine the single speed spud shaft does the same.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Official Historian

There should be a snap ring that holds it in place to the sprocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Thats the problem I can't see what kind of snap ring it is, so I need to know what kind of tool to use to get it off.I really don't feel like pulling the case off if I don't have to.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 12:57 PM
Official Historian

I've got a spare single speed quadratrac sitting on the floor in the garage. I'll pull off the rear cover in a little while and post back with what I find.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Thank's Will, I appreciate that.If you could let me know what I need to pull,it that would be great.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 12:13 AM
Official Historian

Sorry for the poor quality picture but it's the best my $20 camera could do.

If both of your driveshafts are still connected, you'll have to raise one front or rear tire (or one front and one rear tire if you can't overcome the limited slip in the transfer case). Put the transmission in neutral and make sure the transfer case is unlocked if only raising one tire. Remove the 5 bolts holding the cover on and remove the cover. Be prepared to catch a little fluid. Rotate the tire(s) until the slot in the drive slug is visible. The snap ring is inside of this. You'll have to spread the snap ring open at the same time you remove the slug. It's pretty easy.

For installing the low range, you'll have to remove the planetary part from the low range unit. Slid this on the sprocket where the drive slug was. Install the snap ring. Install your gasket or silicone. Now slide the low range unit on and bolt it down. Remove the transfer case fill plug AND the low range fil plug. Fill the low range unit with fluid with the transfer case fill plug removed too. When the low range is full, then fill the main fill in the transfer case.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1083482-quadratrac snapring.JPG (18.5 KB, 7 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

OK now it's time to laugh at me.I jacked up the rear axle to spin it to where I can see it.I grab ahold of it to look at it and it comes off in my hand [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img].Then in less than ten minutes the low range unit is on [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].Thanks for your help and patience. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]to WILL.
On a side note are the QuadraTrac's from the late 70's waggy's the same as the CJ units?I looked at a 79 and a 84 this morning and the 79 has a low range unit on it also.I can get both for $150.I don't know if they run but if they do it will be a nice bonus
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
On a side note are the QuadraTrac's from the late 70's waggy's the same as the CJ units?I looked at a 79 and a 84 this morning and the 79 has a low range unit on it also.I can get both for $150

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the quadratracs used in the FSJ's in the 70's are the same Borg-Warner 1339 transfer case as used in the CJ's. The one from the 84 will not be the same. $150 for a quadratrac is about 3 times what I would pay for one. The ones that sell on ebay usually go for $40-$70. I've seen a couple with starting bids around $100 and the auctions end with no bids.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

WILL,sorry I wasn't clear.It was $150 for a 79 and 84 Waggoneers.That mean's 2 360's,1 T-400 ,1 TF-727,1 BW-1339,
3 Dana 44's,1 HD AMC 20 and plenty of spares for my J-10 project.The 79 has a good set of 31's with nice rims and the 84 also has a clean set of wheels.
I usually don't rush out and buy anything when I need parts because if I'm patient enough, rigs like these turn up. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode