Pacesetter Headers - quality? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 09:29 PM
JohnM

Pacesetter Headers - quality?

I have a 1980 cj7, 258, CA emissions vehicle. I have Howell FI & passed CA smog. Now I have a cracked exhaust manifold -my second or third one over the years. Rather than buy yet another manifold I thought I'd go with headers. Need CA smog approved and all I can locate are Pacesetter brand. They have two, one plain black and the other a coated version for a hundred bucks more. The fellow at the place I'd buy them did say they aren't great quality, 1/4" flange thickness plus thin tubing. Borla said their's won't pass smog on a 1980, they certified them for 1981 and up even though they'd fit. Anyone have other brands for me to check or comments on their experience with Pacesetter? John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 06:31 AM
Journeyman

Re: Pacesetter Headers - quality?

John,
My 258 had a set of dual outlet pacesetter headers when I firt purchased it from a guy about 10 1/2 years ago. I don't know how new it was then, but it lasted me until probably 5 years ago or so (so that's about 5 1/2 years it lasted me, not knowing how long it was used before me). It developed a crack about 2 inches from the head. I put some JB weld on it and that lasted a little while. Eventually I broke down and did the 4.0 head swap and with it came new headers. I am using Cliffords dual outlet headers now. I have no complaints from them as of yet...other than the nice black coating that came on them burned off within a month. The sound was better out of the pacesetter headers, but supposedly the Clifford (and the Borla from what I hear) are engineered for more torque...so the sound isn't quite as rumbly, but overall a better quality.

http://www.cliffordperformance.com/

As far as the emissions aspect...I lived in South Florida when I purchased the vehicle. At the time we did have emissions standards. The first time I took it through to get it registered after buying it, it failed miserably. So I took it to a friend's shop who had the equipment to measure the emissions and we fiddled with it till it would pass. I don't know how much of that was the headers, and how much was just an old engine. I now live in South Carolina, and have no idea what it's emissions are with the new headers...we don't have testing here. Hope any of this helped. Good luck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Marcus
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm not out to bash , and maybe the type that fits your motor is better than the one I had , and I hope so because it sucked horribly . Their tubes are way too thin, as well as the flange and the end bell for the gasket . Not to mention the way they bring the tubes into the collector they rust like no tomorrow . If your having problems with the exhaust manifold , check the head to make sure it's straight and have the manifold planed so it's flat . Helps a lot to extend their life ....
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:19 AM
gman

I installed the borla on my 81 and the quality is definately better than headers I have previously used on other vehicles. The borla has all the emissions holes stamped in them so i don't see why they wouldn't pass. Good luck .Gman
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 11:00 AM
Veteran

I have never had a personal experience with pacesetter products, but most people I know who have were not happy with them. The Borla header is good, as well as the Clifford. I had a heddman header on my first 78 (non emissions) that I had not problems with, I am not sure if they make an emissions model or not. For most crawling and four wheeling a replacement manifold is more than adequate, the header does not really make a noticeable difference in performance unless you are upgrading the intake, carb, and ignition as well. If you do a search on pacesetter you may find some old posts and comments on them. Personally I would stick with a stock manifold unless you plan on upgrading the other components as well. just my .02 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-web
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Old Hand

I have a set of pacesetter headers on my '84 cj7 with 258 and Howell for about 3 years now. I have not had any other headers to compare them to, but they met my needs-- emissions legal and cheap. I got the painted and not the armor coated. They are a pain to get around the motor mount and the header gaskets can be hard to find. I had to order a pair from Pacesetter direct. I recommend that you keep the two studs at either end. My header spread apart a little bit which made it difficult to put back on without the studs. If I were in the same position, I would buy them again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 01:40 PM

Banks has just come out with some headers for Jeeps. I'm not sure if they have an application for your Jeep, but they claim they are indestructible, and back them up with a lifetime warranty. How can you beat that?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 07:20 AM
JohnM

Banks? As in Banks turbochargers or...? Do you have some sort of an address, phone or web-site? Thanks. I saw that on-line at Quatratrec they recommend that to install Pace Setter you ought to have a 2" body lift. Figure that? John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode