Swapping a 350/4L60E into myb cj 7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Swapping a 350/4L60E into myb cj 7

I have a CJ with a tired engine (258)and a manual T5. I would like to end up with fuel injection, a little more power, and an auto. I have a friend who put in a 400 enging and a 4L60 trans in a CJ, and loves it. I am thinking of doing something similar. I think I want to end up with a 350/4L60. I thought of buying a complete truck (maybe wrecked) then using the engine, computer, Fuel injection, and the trans. Then part out the rest.

BTW, I have 4:88's and need the OD.

I think that the '87 and newer have the 4L60 (which from my understanding is just a 700r with the electronic shift stuff?) am I right?

Is ther specific years I should stay away from?

Any pointers?

Do you guys think this is a good direction?

The reason I'm considering this is my 258 is burning about 1 quart/300 miles, my carb sucks, and I would like an auto. I have also thought about getting a 4.0 HO engine with the FI.

I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Kirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 09:28 PM
BigUgly

Re: Swapping a 350/4L60E into myb cj 7

I had an `88 GMC ful size Jimmy and it had a tbi 350 with a 700r4, so I think the 4L70e came later. One more thing in most states you need the emission equipment that came with the Jeep. So, grab all the wire harnesses and computer. A step up to a Chevy V8 makes a Jeep a YEE HAAAAWWW machine. One more thing, as read in JP Mag, a 305 can be had next to nothing, for the first transplant it's a little cheaper and you can drive it around while building the killer motor. My `62 came with a siezed 305 under the hood, but, with time and money came the 383. Good luck hunting,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:48 AM
Old Hand

The 4L60E came 93 and later. If you find a 4x4 version w/ the shorter output shaft (3") it will make the conversion easier, other wise I think you have to swap the output on the passenger car type tranny's. It sounds like a cool idea to me! Check out Novak's site for some good info.

(edited cause I can't splel!)

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/th700r4.htm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 02:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I swappwed a 95 5.7 in my CJ last year love every minute of the swap and finished product.
1987-1995 5.7 V8 Throttle Body Injected
Very simple only 7-12 psi on fuel pressure, less wiring for sensors and everything is cheaper for these motors. Bad thing usually the valve seals go out and they start to burn oil around 100K miles so replace if you get that motor.

1996-1999 5.7 V8 Central Port Fuel Injection
Very complex, but also very efficent. 50-60 psi fuel pressure (means high pressure customs lines). Sensors and components very pricy. Great powerband and great gas mileage.

1982-1992 4L60 (700-R4)
Stay away from any 27 spine input transmissions, Try to find a "K" case (big "K" embossed on the side) these are the fourwheel drive cases the lower part of the bellhousing is stronger and you can use the aluminum dust shield and strut bars. Best years to get would be 88-92 and put a mild shift kit in it with a corvette 2-4 servo, the extra wide band (2 5/8"), and a heavy duty reaction shell.

1993-present 4L60E
You are correct this is a 700 with electonics in it. any year is good, after about 1997 they come with full belhousings, usually all of these are "K" cases you can tell the difference in the thickness of the bellhousing where the dust shield goes. Do the same modifications as above with the exception of the corvette servo (they are already in it) and crank the Pressure control solenoid little less than a quarter turn. Also make sure to boost pressure for lock up.

Any more questions fell fre to ask
nick
P.S. I rebuild this trans all the time have other upgrade but would take to long to explain.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 02:31 PM

Hey jeprolet, I was just curious but whats the horsepower and gas mileage diffrence between the throttle body injection and the central port injection. Thanks, I'm thinking about doing the 350 swap this summer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Another question. How much work/mone is it to upgrade a 700r to the 4060L. I have heard that the electronic stuff on the newer one is better. Is it? How much would it be worth in price comparisons?
If it wasn't a lot to rebuild, it would give me a lot more choices for a "doner" vehicle.

I called a junkyard and they wanted $2,500 for a 350/4060E/Fuel Injection, and all the harnesses.

I think I may be able to get lucky and find a wrecked or damaged truck and get it all, use what I want, then sell/part out the rest.

I would like opinions on the "best" route to pursue.

THanks
Kirk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode