Oil Pan Blues - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 11:32 PM
dakota617

Oil Pan Blues

My son and I are building a 4.2l with the 4.0l head conversion. The PO over-torqued the oil pan bolts and distorted the lip of the pan. No big deal we thought. The outside of the pan was pretty rusted so we thought we would just find a nice used one. HA! So we started to look for a new one. We have ordered four so far and all orders have been canceled due to the "vendor out of stock". My son then thought he could find one on e-bay. Someone told him that a 4.0l pan would work. It does fit but only with the oil pump off. Seems that the sump is not quite deep enough. So now we have the original crappy oil pan, and a brand new 4.0l oil pan. So we found another oil pan on e-bay. Its a never been used OE oil pan from 1980. The motor we are building is a 1983 and we were told that this oil pan would work. It arrived yesterday and it also will fit as long as the oil pump is off. The sump is smaller and not far enough forward. I called at least 10 different places today and its the same story everywhere. Anybody else had a problem finding a oil pan for a 1989 wrangler? I just cant beleive they dont exist somewhere. Thanks for listening......P.S. anybody need a oil pan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 11:55 PM

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 12:54 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Oil Pan Blues

Dakota, first off what part of IL are you in? I'll be back in the Chicago burbs in a few weeks. Secondly if you are towards Chicago there is a guy in Kenosha, WI that has a huge variety of parts. He doesn't have a website but I can give you his number. The place is called Wally's Sales and Service and the number is (262) 552-8330. This guy knows his Jeeps. On a few occasions I've called him from my garage because I couldn't figure something out and he helped me out over the phone. Really nice guy. Ask for Wally when you call. He's open from 9-12 and 1:30-4 Tuesday through Friday, although he usually answers the phone on Mondays. I'd guess he's got over 200 Jeeps, and even more parts. If he doesn't have the part he'll surely be able to tell you what to look for. Good luck, and if you're in the Chicago area let me know and I might swing by sometime this summer to say hi and meet a board member if you're not going to the bash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 07:46 AM

Oil pans and pump pickup tubes go together. If you get a used pan that's not exactly like your current pan, get the pickup tube to go with it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 10:19 AM

My 80 and 84 had sumps in different locations. Different pickups on the pumps. I kept the 80 combo with the rear sump and welded onto it a skid plate (it came from an eagle, and had no reinforced pan). Maybe you could just order an appropriate pickup to match the pan?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Back to the original problem,
2. Just how warped is the original oil pan?
3. I've fix warped oil pans successfully by,[*]Placing the pan over a piece of wood, [*]Placing a second piece of wood over the bolt hole, sandwiching the oil pan, [*]Hammering the pan back to shape.
4. Also I've taken 1/4" flat metal stock and marked the bolt holes on the stock,
5. Drilled out the marks to accept the bolts,
6. And used the stock to help the pan conform to the block lip.
7. It also spreads the load of tightening the bolt down...
8. Very similar to those used on valve covers.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 12:02 PM

You could modify the old pan by cutting a section off of one of your new pans and welding it in place of the damaged section.

Or modify the new pan ... you get the idea [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 12:46 AM
dakota617

Thanks to all who responded. Redcj7.. I have looked at so many sites that I don't know if I looked at these yet, but I will. Knifeboy2--Thanks for the info about Wally's Sales. Just about every used part on the Jeep has come from Wisc so far, plus I haven't been to the Brat Stop in awhile. By the way, my daughter graduated from Western. I am guessing that you are a student at Western? We can't make the bash because that is the week that my son has finals.(Lewis U) We are hoping to get the engine swap done the following week and head up to Silver Lake tho. Would be glad to meet you sometime. Jim Lou + TiminMB....The body of the oil pan is what is preventing the new pan from fitting, not the pickup tube. It's hard to beleive the 4.0 and the 4.2 pan can be so close. It has all the same bolt holes in all the same places, but the pump itself is just a 1/2 inch too tall to fit. LEVE.. The pan is pretty warped, but it also is pretty rusty. I have been working on reforming the pan and I like the idea of the 1/4" stock. I would be nice to have a piece on either side of the pan to prevent this in the future. This is one of these deals where the tighter you get the bolts, the worse it will leak. BigHg.. Will have to think about the cutting/welding plan. I dont know much about welding except you need to know what you are doing. Thanks again to everyone.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Dakota, its too bad you can't make the bash. Its the weekend before my finals too but I'm kinda irresposible that way. I'll be taking books with me to the bash and I figure its a good way to relieve pre-finals stress. I am a student at Western. Three years down and a few to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode