Toyota front axle on a jeep ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Toyota front axle on a jeep ?

How about it compared to a dana 44?

1. don't have to have the housing narrowed to fit wide track width (right?)
2. strong as a 44 ?
3. lots of them out there
4. what about birfields?
a. can get super birfields (as strong as 297x?)
b. if a joint blows, won't have to order another set of custom shafts (see cheaper than narrowed 44)

I'm thinking about it instead of having a 44 shortened. All that would need to be done is rotating the perches and making hubs for 5 x 5.5 pattern.
Can't be that easy or there would be a lot more of them out there.

Anyone here done it or know any more about the swap? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 06:07 AM

Re: Toyota front axle on a jeep ?

I found this on Yota axles. Toyota Axle Info Depending on what year of axle you got, the pinion would have coarse splines. They say that these are pretty weak. My buddy broke the pinion on his rear axle on his FJ40. Both u-joints were intact still. This was on a pretty steep climb with maybe a little to much gas..., but it broke before the u-joints did. (I know you are thinking about a front axle.., but the dropouts are pretty much the same front and rear.) I also have a buddy with the Newfields in his FJ40 front axle..., he runs 35's but he also has new gears..., no coarse splines. I'd go with something else if it were me. If it were the hot set-up..., alot of people would be doing it already.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

My buddy had a Toyota axle under his Toyota pickup....go figure huh!? Anyway, I believe he sheared some teeth off the ring gear 2 or 3 times, and each time it was on the street. He has since upgraded to a D44, and although it hasn't been long, he hasn't had any problems. BTW - I believe the rearend was from a V6 Toyota..

One more BTW - I just reread your post and noticed it was regarding a front axle. My bad, but maybe this will give some sort of idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 08:47 AM
85Jeepny

I've been searching...to no avial...for the FJ80 land cruiser axles SUPER TUFF....way stronger than a 44 not too mention available with Factory locker and full floating 4.10 gears. These are not easy to find in yard and if you do $$$$$

The other option when the time comes for me is to get the toyota housing and get a 3rd member from a cruiser and slighty modify the housing to accept it. New from toyota you can get that 3rd member with locker and 4.56 gears for around 850-950.... [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img] I guess not horrible for factory setup gears, 3rd member and selectable locker???

There are a couple of Jeeps running toyota rears but I haven't been able to find anymore info like you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

looks like 4.10 is the most common ratio. Another bonus, thats the ratio I want to use! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:34 AM

A buddy of mine in Ridgecrest is running 4Runner axles with a Buick V6 and 37"s on his 58 CJ5. As far as I know he hasn't broke anything or had any problems yet. If you get on the POR board he's "ITS PAT".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 12:49 PM
M38

If I decide to change mine I may use toy axles I haven't measured but they look very wide, and if thats the case may not work for me.

on the other hand I had an 85 with 35's and a 350 in it the axels were tough they are also SOA already

clint

ps if you have hub to hub measurments what are they?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 01:51 PM

Are you talking about a cruiser front or a P/U front end? P/U axles are all fairly stout and most come with 4.10 gears and a few have 4.30 gears(84-84 's with the auto tranny). They are about wide track width and are set up for spring over, stock hubs are nearly bullet proof. the 6 lug pattern can be changed but can run up the costs, or you can swap in a Waggy rear axle to get a six lig pattern. To swap it in you'll need to buy some new steering arms ($200), since the toy uses push pull type setup stock. Also Longfields cost about $300 for new ones with no core. They are needed if you are going to lock it up and wheel it hard with 35 or larger tires. The turning radius of a toy axles also is not as sharp as an open knuckle design. The advantages are it has better ground clearance than a 44, virtually all came with 4.10 gears, stronger stock hubs, and they are fairly cheap. If you can buy steering arms and Longfields for cheaper than regearing a 44 then it might be worth it, otherwise IMHO a 44 would be the better choice. I'm going thru this right now since I have to put new axles in my CJ. I've got 2 toy rear housings and 1 front, but I'm still looking around for a wrecked waggy to pull the axles from.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 02:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was trying to weigh the cost & amount of work involved in taking a 44 and having it shortened to widtrack cj width. I thought the Toyota P/U housing was about the same width or maybe just a little wider than widetrack about 56" ? Next question: can the spring pads be moved in close enough to install it without having to outboard the springs? I like the idea of more clearance & also don't have to worry about banging the diff cover into rocks. Not sure about the pinion flange for the drive shaft... They all have a flange, right? I have never really thought this out completely, my friend suggested it last night and it seem to make sense. but seems like there a lot of things i had not thought of. i am trying to remember what the housing looks like.

I have been searching on several boards and have not come up with much info.

thanks all
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't want ot come off rude, but are you out of your mind there is a reson why most hard core toyotas swap to Dana axles and that is because they hold up better. Get a 44 from a Wagoneer only slightly wider than wide tracks. also those birfields won't hold up to 35's and a locker. Friend with PU axle swapped in a 92 4runner blows atleast one birfield a trip wheeling. I wouldn't do it but hey I'm running 38's on dana 44 so I guess you could say I'm crazy too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode