Auto tranny and water: what's the problem ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Auto tranny and water: what\'s the problem ?

My buddy and I went wheeling today. We stuck the 89 YJ (258 and auto) in a water hole. shorthly after we got unstuck the tranny started acting funny. So we towed the jeep to the first autoshop we found and change the tranny fluid. It was all pink and fluffy. Then we headed home. After a few miles its started again to go wrong. The tranny start in 2 gear and never shift to 3rd or first gear. The tranny fluid is already pink and fluffy and their is a strange noise coming from the tranny.

Does anybody have an idea of what's going on ?
thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:20 PM

Re: Auto tranny and water: what\'s the problem ?

Auto trannies are NOT friends of water. The "pink n' fluffy" texture is being caused by water mixing with the tranny fluid forming an emulsion (rather similar to salad dressing or mayonnaise) that generally does not have lubricating/viscosity qualities to make the tranny work properly (as you can see).

Best bets are to do a COMPLETE flush of the tranny fluid, including torque converter, change filter, etc.... basically remove any and all contaminated fluid from anywhere it might possibly be. This MAY solve your problem.

The other solution is, of course, to remove and tear down the whole tranny and replace any parts that may have been ruined in the water encounter.

Tip for the future: make absolutely sure your auto tranny vent lines are WELL above the level of whatever water you'd planning to splash into before doing so.

This is actually one of the several reasons I have for choosing sticks instead.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Way Outta Control

1. If the Transmission pan was dropped...
2. You only got 4 of about 8.5 quarts of ATF/Water out of the transmission.
3. Most of it's in the Torque Converter, pump, valve body and hydraulic passages.
4. You've got two choices.
5. A Power Flush at a shop.
6. A Poor Man's Power Flush.[*] Park on LEVEL ground. [*] Put the transmission in NEUTRAL (The TF999 does circulate ATF to the torque converter or the cooling lines in PARK...). [*] If you check the fluid in park, the measurement is NOT accurate. [*] Check the fluid for debris, put some fluid on your finger an roll it between your finger an your thumb... if stuff is suspended in the fluid you'll be able to feel it. [*] Smell the fluid. Does it smell burned? If so, the clutch material is burned and is coming off the clutch plates. [*] Replace ALL the fluid in the transmission (about 9 quarts if you power flush).[*] Loosen the cooler lines[*] Put the output line to a LARGE catch basin[*] Put a Funnel in the input line[*] Start the engine[*] Start pouring new fluid into the funnel[*] When clean fluid starts to pour out the cooler line to the basin[*] Stop[*] Reattach everything[*] Re-Check fluid level [*] Replace the filter in the pan [*] Blow out the ATF cooler[*] If you replace ALL the ATF and filter and the transmission still slips... it is time for a rebuild
7. What ever you do, get the water out...
8. It softens the glue on the friction disks in the clutch packs.
9. You may want to relocate the vent...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your help.
We'll try to do a complète flush tomorow and see how it goes.

Do you think we can drive it 15 miles to the shop or are we going to definitely ruin the tranny ?

Where are the vent line located ?
We know of one that goes out in the middle of the firewall close to the hood (that's why we thought that water wouldn't go in there) but obviously there are other port of entry for water.
Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Way Outta Control

1. I'd get the stuff out as soon as I could...
2. There is no vent line on the transmission,
3. It's located in the pump assembly, behind the Troque converter.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 06:28 PM

I had same problem years ago, several flushes it was fine, for a few months all was good.

then out of the blue it just quit one night on teh way home from work, never worked again.

see the water causes the glue that holds the friction material on teh cluthes and bands to come unglued, and its only a matter of time.

I suggest if you have an auto, you stay out of the water.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Old Hand

I did the same thing one night.. Got stuck in some water then the trans [bleep] the bed... So I pulled it out and apart and cleand it all up But this time i fixed it
I put a plug in the vent hole on the pump and then drilled a hole on the top of the case right above the 2nd gear band and put in a 90 fiting and ran the vent high up on the fire wall. Now water is nothing i can drive in it all day. Just take a look at my Icon.. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Old Hand

I'm surprised it's still working. When I swamped mine it was done. I couldn't move an inch after getting towed out of the puddle. A complete rebuild had to be done. Cost about $1000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode