4 cylinder, how do they perform offroad - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4 cylinder, how do they perform offroad

hey, i currently have a 87 XJ and i am going to be selling it to get a yj or a tj. i want a 4 cylinder because of the better gas milage. how do four cyclinders preform offroad with only one or to people in the vehical. also with the stock suspension and wheels. the xj i have now has a three inch lift and a 4.0 litre engine and is great offroad but i want a smaller one and i wold rather have a wrangler than a cherokee. you guys give me the good the bad and the ugly of a 4 cylinder offroad. thanks. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Bigscout79

Re: 4 cylinder, how do they perform offroad

I have the 6 and love it, but from all I've heard, you only miss the 6 on the highway and in the sand.

I've seen and heard many people who actually like the 2.5 with a manual trans for offroading. Is the gas mileage all that noticeable? If you're planning on lifting/modding you'll more quickly bump into issues though.

-Bigscout79
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:59 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I know some people that have the 2.5L in their Jeep. It does just fine offroad--no complaints. it's lighter and more importantly there's a lot of room under the hood.

However, it's a gutless wonder in all their cases as soon as you get on the highway. The 92hp 2.5L in my 89 S15 felt like a supercharged bigblock compared to the Jeep's 2.5L. Put taller rubber on it and you'll want to get out and push to get the thing moving.

As a side note, I have a 84 K10 with 33" rubber, a 305, and 2.73 gears (aka airplane gears). My friend has a TJ with the stock itsy bitsy tires and the 2.5L. If he didn't already have the doors off I'd have blown them off when we drag raced. Of course, his gas mileage is more than twice my 11mpg.

My neighbor just got a 93 TJ and it's pretty impressive. It's got the 2.5L and it seems to go pretty good. I think he said he gets 26mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 02:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From my experience, as an 2.5 owner...
As all the fellow Jeeper said above, no complaints off the road, except maybe in sand. But neither that... Anyway, it's true that if you lift it, get serious meats under etc. you'll feel it pretty soon.
But until we're talking STOCK... And on the hwy. Now, I don't know what the speed limit in the US is, but all across the Europe it's 130 kmh (some 80-81 mph) and with stock 2.5 YJ I get it. OK, I need more than 10 sec to acellerate 0-60 mph, but who cares? Also, I get to those 80 without top & doors (can U say "excessive wind drag"?). I don't speed over the limit, even if I can (in some other car).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I know in Oregon, the speed limit is either 55 or 65, depending on the stretch of hwy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Old Hand

My stock 91 YJ 2.5 with both track bars and swaybar removed, running 235-75 r15s will go just about anywhere as long as the bottoms not dragging or the axles aren't pushing mud. In 4 lo 1st gear I was very impressed with the hills it will idle up.
If you live in a hilly or mountainous area you'll probably get better fuel economy with the 6, hills and head winds kill your mileage.
That's just my experience in the terrane around here.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 08:14 PM
utahjeepr

I have a wheelin buddy with a 2.5L TJ with an inertia ring and a Klune V. On rocks that thing kicks it. Mud, sand, and snow suck a lot of power and would probably not be a lot of fun with a 4, but if you want to crawl rocks they can get it awn.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the four banger doesnt really get great gas mileage anyway... I have a inline 6 cherokee and a four banger wrangler. Cherokee will smoke some 31s, but the 2.5l is plenty enough power for offroading. [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Old Hand

One of the guys I wheel with runs a 2.5L TJ with 31's. Even in the snow it does pretty well (He has a K&N cold air intake which he claims livened it up some). He can run with all of the 258's and even a 350 or two up until he gets in something deep. Then getting out under his own power becomes a litte more difficult. We usually run in a river (sand and water), snow and mud, with some hill climbing. The deep mud and snow are the most difficult for him, and I think he has to work the engine a litte harder then some of the bigger guys, but it's a good jeep.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:07 PM

[how do four cyclinders preform offroad with only one or to people in the vehical.]

Well, for all but the worst drivers, they work better with one person in the vehicle than with 0 persons in the vehicle. They start to get a little crowded with 3 or 4 people in the vehicle, and its just way to crowded in the vehicle with 5 or 6 persons. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
OK enough about the seating araingments.

As far as the engine goes, the 2.5 is a very good little off road engine if the axles and T case are geared low enough. They dont however get very good gas mileage, once you go to bigger tires, due to the fact that you have to drop down the gears and rev it up to 4000 rpms to cruise on the hwy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode