Steering problem, need advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering problem, need advice

The steering on my rig is acting funny. It is kind of like the pump is fluctuating the power assist pressure when turning. While moving or standing still in the matter of a few degrees of steering wheel turn, It becomes easy to turn then hard then back several times in a turn. This change in assist does not seem to happen in the same place on the wheel (that is when I turn the wheel it does not get hard to turn at lets say the 5 deg. point of steering wheel rotation every time) Most distressing of all the wheels will not return to center after a turn without assistance.
The power steering unit fluid is full. The belt is new (6 months)and tight. there is no visible binding, bent, or loose linkage. And this is a stock suspension
Could this be as easy as the power steering pump failure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering problem, need advice

How old is the Steering Box? may need a rebuild [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 06:59 AM

It could be a pump problem with the pressure relief valve, but it's more likely in the box, in my opinion. Debris floating around in the fluid could be clogging or sticking the valves. A change of fluid might help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

205,000 plus miles, power steering unit is original equip.
I will try the fluid replace tonight.
Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 07:32 AM

Sounds like the gear but if that seems to be working another place to look is at the u-joints in the front axle shafts(not driveshaft). Some times they bind up and when turning will make it harder or jerk the steering wheel. One way to check them is to put both front tires in the air and just spin the tires while someone turns the steering wheel from full left to right/ right to left. Any binding would indicate that the u-joints are binding. This happened to me on my 76 CJ and I didn't figure it out until I bought another steering gear. Needless to say I wasted money on that issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode