ATTN. H8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

ATTN. H8

Jeff,
I have a question for you. I plan on moving my front axle forward about 5" or so. I know you moved yours forwad also and was wondering how you dealt with it as far as steering linkage goes. I though about moving the box forward but that round crossmember is in the way. Did you just cut it and then reinforce it so that it would still hold your grill/radiator in the right place? I had thought about going with full hydro steering but I want to be able to drive it on the road. I am not sure of legality of full hydro either. And I have heard that it can be kinda scary at hiway speed w/o the return to center effect. Any pointers and pics you can show me would help a bunch. thanks Wade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 02:56 PM

Re: ATTN. H8

i just asked jeff (h8) this question last week..lol..
the way he explained it to me was simply move the steering box forawrd..
heres what he told me .
I just moved my steering box forward. Its really not that hard to do, probably took me 2 to 3 hours. Just drill new holes in the frame rails and sleeve the holes with 1/2 id pipe. If you need to angle it differently to work just use a piece of 1/4" plate between the bottom of the frame rail and the steering box bracket. Weld some nuts to it where the bottom bolts need to attach and your golden. Its really pretty simple if you look at it and break it down.

hth payton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

any problems with the steering shaft hitting the bottom of the grill or radiator? how did you lengthen the steeering shaft? I have a 1" body lift and the steering shaft is already stretched to the limit. It really needs to be lengthened now. Thanks, Wade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:29 PM

To lengthen the steering shaft, I just cut and sleeved the steering shaft with a piece of pipe that fit tightly around it. I welded both ends and also drilled some holes in the pipe and rosette welded in some spots.
The box in its first move I was able to actually use one of the original holes in the frame rail, then drilled and sleeved another down lower and forward(I tilted my box up slightly, for my needs). Then a built a bracket below and welded nuts to the brocket to attatch the lower bolts.
In its last form when I moved it even further forward, I did have to remove the front cross member, and just welded my bumper in place to replace it. I also had to weld a bracket for the grill body mount(the radiator by that point was mounted to a hoop that crossed at the engine and acted as radiator mount and roll protection.

You will also have to modify any steering brace stuff you may have. I extended it the same way as the steering shaft, and reangled it.

I believe I have plenty of pics of the steering box mods somehwre here in the archives.

For a daily driver, I would not go to full hydraulics, it can be a bit scarry at speed. I would highly recommend a hydraulic assist however. They are very affordable and work great.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 10:01 AM

While you guys are on the subject. I put in a 1" body lift about 6 months ago. I have driven the jeep around town probably 500-1000 miles and have been on 2 trips - 3 long days. While at Moab last week my steering started to bind a little. kinda felt like the belt was lose. I checked it and then thought maybe my pump was going bad. We continued and all of a sudden my steering came apart. I lost my steering and could turn the real freely with no steering. I was with some guys that work on stuff a lot. One of them got under and said the shaft just came apart. He put it back together. I put the steering gear on last year and assumed the bolt at the top of the gear came out. Not true. What happened was there is a ring about a 2" diameter that holds the shaft together about 3" up from the gear. Apparently it just came apart. He bent the ring a little and pounded it back together. I made it off the hill (moab rim, not a good one to worry about losing steering) and we re-checked it and it hadn't moved any.
My question is: Could my body lift have caused this to pull apart because I am "stretching" it?

I have ordered a new ring and will replace the bent one. Should I lengthen the shaft?

SHould I look at anything else?

Thanks
Kirk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode