cj7 465m 4spd &205 tc with scout axles with 4.10's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

cj7 465m 4spd &205 tc with scout axles with 4.10\'s

I would like to know what you guys think about this set up,350 with a 465m (6.56 1st gear)4spd. and a 205 t-case,and scout axles with 4.10's. I have a t5(4.0 1 st gear) and a dana 300 and stock axles m20 and dana 30 with 3.54's crawl ratio is 37. If I change the axles and run the 4 spd and 205 my crawl ratio would drop to 53. Right now I have 31.10.5 tires and would love to run 33"super swampers. To fix the rear axle shafts will cost $300.00,and for that I could find a set of scout axles with better gears. I want to put a 350 chevy in my jeep,but I know that the t5 will not hold up to good,and to put a 465m in will cost $450.00 for the adapter. I could get a 465m and a 205 t-case fron a guy down the road for $75.00 each,and I now what they can handel. So what would you do. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:47 AM
CJ5_1965

Re: cj7 465m 4spd &205 tc with scout axles with 4.10\'s

Sounds like a good combination, but depending on the type of wheeling you plan to do, you may want to go with a heavier rear axle than a d44.

Also, how much highway driving will it see? What's the speed limit? My cj5 with 4.88's & 35's runs 60mph @3200- I drive it to work fairly often, but I wouldn't want to drive it cross country.

You might want to consider an SM420 trannie as well. 1st gear is about 10% lower, and it's slightly shorter - not quite as HD, but still one of the strongest trannies around. If you have vehicle inspection in your state, you may not get away with an earlier unit w/o a reverse light switch, though.

The swap will cost a bunch of money - to do it right, a lot more than anyone expects. And to make it worse, you really can't upgrade one component at a time.

Good luck with your project.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like a beautiful Set up to me. In fact it is very close to what I am doing with my YJ. I am going with
350/SM465/D300, and for axles I am using a Rear D44 from a 88 grand Waggie, and front D44 From a 78 Waggie. And in the rear I am going to run an ARB.
The differences that we are going to run are
1) the transfer case. You are going to go with a 205, that is a good case, but it is HUGE, and heavy, and the low range is only 1.96. If you keep you D300 you can twin stick it, and you get to keep the good 2.61 Low range. If you use the D300 and a 4.1 R&P your crawl ratio will be 70:1 And that is a beautiful thing. And also the D300 will fit under the Jeep much better. But the down side is that the SM465-D300 adaptor is about $500, but for me since I am doing the total rebuild it was worth it to do it right. A low range of 1.96 is just not very low at all.

The other place we differ is in the axles.. Again I will share what I have learned.
First off. D44's are pretty rugged, and if you are only going to run 33's they will be fine.
You say you are giong to run 44's from a Scout. For the Rear I would say that is perefect. Becasue that axle has an offset rear diff, that makes the axle shafts the same length on both sides. This is real handy, cause you only need one spare. However I would NOT run a scout front axle. They have no caster from the factory, and to set it up correctly you will need to grind off the ears, and have them turned. That is a lot of work.
I would recomend an Axle from a Waggie for the front because they came with about 5-6Deg of pos caster. Perfect for a "little Jeep". The only thing is that all waggie fronts are drivers side drop. Except for the ones that came from Pre 80 waggies.
Here is the axle you want, and why.
1974-1979 Jeep Grand Waggie front axle. They have disk breaks on the front, they have 30 spline shafts, they have the differ on the correct side, and best of all, they have flat top knuckels.
Now since you are going to the trouble of an axle swap, why not go Spring over (I am) then you can use the flat tops. IF you decided to go spring under, you can get a set of standard knuckles and sell the flat tops to offset the cost of the axle.
Well, I hope that you can use that info

And like I said since you are going to the toruble of an axle swap, go spring over and run bigger tires. A V8, heavy duty trans, strong trans case, and D44's can handle bigger than 33's. I think I am going to go spring over with 2" springs and run 36's or 37's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I could go that way,but I thought that I would have a better chance of finding 4.10's by going with scout axles. What is the lowest gear ratio for a waggie in the 70's. I would like to save some cash and stay away from gear swaps. I would love to run my dana 300 but the $500 adapter would slow down my swap plans. I know a guy who has a 420 4 spd with the dana adapter who wants $450.00 for both. I have to think on the axle swap,I could go scout rear waggie front,if I could find a 5 bolt front axle,and swap in lower gears. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Most scout axles have worse gears than you allready have. Regear a waggy front and find a 86+ toyota rear with 4.10 or lower gears. And a waggy front axle would be a better choice because it uses stronger chevy style internal hubs while, the scout front uses the same hubs a a CJ d30. To fit that tranny and case in there, the 205 must be a non-slip yoke version, I think those were the pre-80s ones. In the 80s, they switched to a long adapter and slip yoke which adds a lot of length. The 205 can be easily twin sticked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode