2000 TJ Steering Stabilizer problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Bigscout79

2000 TJ Steering Stabilizer problems

First off, Hello - I'm new here.

Secondly, Thanks in advance for any help, looks like a good fun - and helpful - group

Here's the issue: 2000 TJ - 6cyl Bone Stock with the 30" wheel package.

I have ~40000 miles on it, and last friday rotated the tires for the third time (when I notice cupping on the front I move to the back etc...) Two days later I start noticing an odd feeling the front end - sort of like a wheel out of balance, but only after I hit a bump. There is also a lot more correction needed at high way speed to keep going straight, not alignment(not constant), but correction.

I am first thinking I'd not tightened my lugs enough, but I got home and checked them a third time - they were tight.

I then crawl under to do my super technical wiggle anything that looks important professional analysis. I didn't find anything loose, but I did get my hands all oily on the front steering stabilizer (horizontally mounted shock like thing in front and above front axle) - twas covered in oil.

I'm thinking to myself, "ok, steering stabilizer grenaded itself - easy fix" but after talking to some mechanically minded folks (not jeep crowd) they suggest that this wouldn't produce the behavior I'm relaying and that the steering stabilizer is primarily to keep the steering wheel from killing me offroad with a jerk or rut.

Any hints/suggestions welcome. I'll be puttin it up on stands tonight to check for play in the bearings - I have a slight shudder in the brakes. I'm thinking that 40k would be early for bearing failure though right?

Thanks again,

Bigscout79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Addict

Re: 2000 TJ Steering Stabilizer problems

My guess is when you rotated your tires, you overtightened the lugs and warped the rotors. The clue is the fact that you said the brakes shudder. This is just a guess, but it is a place to start. I had this happen twice when I had tires replaced at Sears. The LOVE to use impact drivers on lugs.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Bigscout79

I used my impact on them... do you know what poundage ought to go into the lugs? I've always put my lugs on "pretty tight" knowing that I'm the only one who should have to get them off. I honestly have never heard of warping the rotors with the lugs - is this a common thing? Can it be fixed by backing them off a bit?

This also wouldn't explain the wander/slight bumpsteer would it? I'm thinking back a bit bashfully to the lug tightening and thinking if it is possible to warp em that way - then I probably did. Even bets I have two problems now.. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Bigscout79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Addict

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
had tires replaced at Sears. The LOVE to use impact drivers on lugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup. i work at NTB part time (owned by sears), weve bought some rotors.

gotta use a torque stick.

backing off the lugs wont fixit. if theyre warped they stay warped.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Please complete your user profile:[*] It's a nice thing to do.[*] It's helps to know who we're talkin' to.[*] It helps to know what's your ride.[*]It helps to know the local in which you live.

3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. Do a search on "Death Wobble."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:22 AM
Bigscout79

I did, I did.

I read the sticky - I thought I followed it.

Thanks for the "death wobble" looking it up now.

*edit: Boy that death wobble thing sure sounds like me (I think in my case the symptoms are muffled a bit though I hardly feel like I'm going to die from it) I will start with replacing the steering stabilizer which is obviously blown then look at the rotors and re-rotate the tires. I'd rather have badly cupped tires in another 5-6k miles than deal with this odd handling.

Thanks all.
Bigscout79
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode