Jeep Trailering question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Jeep Trailering question

I have a 16 foot utility trailer. I have hauled several vehicles on it without problem but none for very far. The trailer is a heavy 7000pound capacity angle Iron trailer. I am going to start hauling my jeep on it. Problem is it flexes a little which causes binders to losen up. I am looking for some Ideas on how everyone else is tying their jeeps down to their trailers. Attachment points and methods of tying them down.

I don't care for chains much, as by the time I have them tight, I hae to put a bar on them to tighten the binder, and they still come loose. I do like the strap style with the rachet but I am concerned about the strenth of them even though they are rated to 10000 pounds... Give Me Ideas.. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:43 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Jeep Trailering question

Well I have towed my CJ on one of those Uhaul trailers that gets both axles off the ground. I really like the ratchet type straps but the problem with the Uhaul ones are they are too short for my 33 inch tires. What I always do is take some retired climbing straps (I forget what they are called but they are flattened braided nylon tubes) and use that in the ratchet system. It works really great and I haven't had a problem with them in the 4 or 5 250 mile trips I've done that on. I can get them super tight, and if done right they won't move an inch the entire trip. So my vote is for the ratchet design, but make sure they'll fit over your tires with room to spare.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 06:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

A while back I worked for an outfit that put a mid size tractor on a flat trailer. And what we would do was to use those ratchet straps on the front and on the back. We would park the whole set up on a small hill. That way the tractor was willing to roll one way. We would get the straps as tight as possible. then we would drive the trailer to a small hill that pointed the other way. The tractor would tend to roll the other way just a bit. Thus one strap would be very good and tight, and the other would have a bit of slack. We would tighten up the one with slack, put the tractor in gear, and set the breaks. And it would be good to go. We could pull it 300 miles, and it wouldn't move. IT worked great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Can't Get Enough

I use four 10,000# ratchet straps (2 on each axle) with axle straps that go around the axles. The ratchet straps attach to the trailer in the front and in the rear. I also criss cross the straps, that is the right front axle strap attaches to the left front of the trailer and so on. I never have had the Jeep move an inch while towing it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:02 AM

When you attatch the binders, do you bind the chain to itself, or do you hook one end of the binder to the trailer and the other to the chain?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:46 AM

I use 3" straps in the back and a chain in the front.

On the front, I have two D Rings welded to the front of the trailer. I run the chain along the fron of the trailer, through the d rings, then back towards the fron axle, arount the axle,(just inside the springs on each side) then hook the chain back around itself about 2' from the axle. I hook both ends back to the chain. I do this first.

In the rear, I have two 5" Semi-style rachet brackets. (the kind that semi trailers have down the side of thier flat bed trailers. I then sewed a loop in each strap. The straps are about 6" long. I put the loop by the back axle and run the long end of the strap through the loop. This means I end up with one strap (on each side) coming back towards the back of the trailer. I run the strap through the ratchet bracket, and use a long pipe to tighten it up. I have two of these. When I tighten the straps, it pulls the chain in the front tight. (pretty darn tight)

The only thing I may do different is cut the front chain in half and use a seperate chain for each side. This way, if one side came lose, the jeep would stay.

BTW, it is a 16" trailer.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like the straps are not a bad Idea, An d I am all for redundancy. I now need to decide how to put some strapping points on the front and rear of the trailer...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:37 PM

mine, the d rings are just welded to the trailer. In the rear however, the ratchet brackets are removable. One bolt holds them each on. I hope I can explain this. It works awesome.
We welded a L shaped piece to the back of the bracket. - so after welding it, the new piece was the L and the back side of the ratchet made it a U. We then drilled a hole about in the middle of the L (1/2 way up) and welded a nut to thread through. I then drilled a hole in the 4" angle iron that runs accross the back of the trailer for the bolt to go through the L piece, and push against the ratchet bracket.
The only purpose of the bolt is to hold the ratchet thing from falling off because when the straps are tightened, it pulls the bracket against the angle iron on the trailer.

Can you tell I have too much free time to think through this stuff?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:53 PM

In the past I have used four ratchet straps, crisscrossed side to side with axle straps. After having them loosen up a time or two, I have swithced to a chain in the rear and straps at the front. The straps seem to provide just enough give that everything stays tight. With the chain in the rear I know I don't have to worry in the event of a panic stop.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:12 PM
JohnN

I've trailered my Jeeps for over 20 years, no disasters yet. I tie the rear down with 2 chains, one to each side to the axle. I have the chains held to the trailer frame with bolts, loop the other end around the axle, hooked back to the chain with a clevis hook. On the front I use 3 ratchet straps, 2 of them go to the axle on each side hooked to axle straps around the axle (I don't cross them like others, but that's a good way); these hook to D-rings welded into the trailer bed. The 3rd strap goes around the front bumper and to the trailer frame on both sides, this is to keep the Jeep from swaying on the trailer (that can get the whole trailer "walking around" going down the road. Just keep your speed down til you get used to it. If it seems to fishtail as your speed increases, move the Jeep foreward til it's steady at highway speeds. It's better to have it loaded a little to far foreward than too far back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode