5.0 Ford engine into a 79 CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

5.0 Ford engine into a 79 CJ7

I have decided to replace the 304 in my 79 CJ7 with a 5.0 Ford and I have a few questions that for some reason I can't or don't understand from doing searches and reading the posts on this BBS and other places.
1. Am I right that I want a 5.0 from 88 to 92 (MAF) from a Mustang, Mark VII or Cougar? How about full size Continentals from same years?
2. I am currently running a Jeep T-150 bellhousing and a Ford T-18. Will this combo bolt to a 5.0, and if not, what will I have to do to make it work?
I want to do this the right way the first time, not like some of the other things I have done to my Jeep.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Enthusiast

Re: 5.0 Ford engine into a 79 CJ7

You want an '89-'92 5.0HO. Lincoln MKVII works, that what I'm using. Make sure the $400 alternator is there, otherwise get a junk yard mustang alt. bracket and $180 high output mustang althernator. I used MORE bulletproof engine mounts, I'm very happy with them. Can't help with the tranny combo. I used a '95 mustang bellhousing and a world class T-5 from advance adaptors which bolts right to my Dana 300. If I redid it, I would go with an NV4500 tranny from them. Much heavier duty (they're from 3/4 ton trucks) and have a granny gear AND overdrive.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, especially the info about the alternator. My intention is to wait until I find an engine that is complete and get everything that I could possibly need from the donor vehicle. I will have to do this conversion with the least cost possible as I had to retire in Sept of last year and the amount of money for my Jeep projects isn't what it used be, not that it was unlimited when I was working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 07:05 PM
juniorjs

To use your current tranny you need a ford bellhousing from a mid 80 f-truck. Then you will have to go with the hydraulic setup for your clutch. The rest will be wiring for the computer and fuel injection, etc.
junior
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

What is your current clutch set up? I'm running with a '66 ford f100 bell (that I pulled from a '79 f100). If you have the clutch pivot that mounts to the bellhousing you can use the same set up for your new engine.

I used the engine from a '90 Crown Vic. It's a speed density motor. But I'm not planning on any internal motor changes (the biggest benefit of MASS air motors).

You'll love the torque, and the consistancy of the EFI.

GOOD LUCK!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just swapped in a 5.0 in my Jeep bolted to a Ford NP435 tranny. I used the M.O.R.E. motor mounts and an very pleased with them...excellent quality.

Couple of things to consider on the engine side:

The 88-92 Ford Mustang engines were MAF (mass air flow) HO (high output) engines. The 87 Mustang, and all the cougar/Crown Vic/Marquis/etc. are speed density and use a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor INSTEAD of the MAF. When doing this swap you have to lay everything out about the engine BEFORE you start...trust me on this one. If you are going to grab an engine that is speed density, you better grab the entire harness and computer. I found out the hard way that all the aftermarket harnesses I could find were for the HO engines that are MAF. This includes Painless, and the Ford Motorsports harnesses. They will not work with a speed density setup. The computers are different also. I ended up converting mine to MAF. If you can get the whole harness from a MAP setup than go for it, just a warning. Also, the MAP setups are not HO and don't make quite as much power, but I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish so that may not be an issue. If you want to convert it to a MAF HO setup you have to replace the computer and CAM and Heads and add a MAF sensor with housing, a BAP (barometric pressure sensor), HO intake manifold and exhaust manifold (will be a big bottleneck) and change the firing order to the 351 windsor order.

Also, the stock exhaust manifolds will most likely not clear the clutch linkage on the drivers side, and you will have to get really creative or get a set of aftermarket headers that will clear this area.

I would do a ton of research on what engine you have your eye on, because there are a bunch of little differences in the different years, computers, setups, etc. There are many flavors of 5.0 setups out there. I would also check out Corral dot net as they have a plethera of knowledge on 5.0's and a classifieds section for all the little stuff you will forget, and need at the last minute. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:26 PM
sirhumpy

In2Deep: Are you running the mechanical linkage? I've got the same bell and just wondering if it could be used in a hydraulic setup.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 11:41 PM

Drew,
The Crown Vic 5.0 engines are not HO.
There are many differences as mentioned above between the standard 5.0 and the HO version. Not to mention the extra 35 HP and 65 lbs of torque that a stock HO produces.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:21 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I am using the mechanical linkage for my clutch. I used the jeep bellcrank, but replaced the arms with the f100 arms. I never chased a hydraulic clutch, but I know H8Monday is running a hydraulic clutch that uses a slave cylinder that mounts on the side of the bell. I'm not sure if that will adapt to the older bells (I think he's using a T5 bell).

Jeff. I'm aware the crown vic motor isn't a H.O. motor. I'm not a power hungry driver. I'm just looking for reliabilty (and a better motor).

a few side notes: I've used factory manifolds from the F100 to clear the mechanical clutch. Also a MAJOR note, the crown vic motor has the air intake on the opposite side. This is a pain as it runs close to the brake master cylinder. I was working on a solution, but I've just got an Explorer intake and plenum and it'll come out on the passenger side.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drew, you can flip the Crown Vic intake. It is 100% symetrical. The only difference between the crown Vic upper intake and the HO upper is the size of the throttle body, and the accelerator cable mount. If you can get a longer throttle cable (I used a stock setup out of a 1990 Mustang) you just flip the thing.

I have also heard that F150 exhaust manifolds work but they are still restrictive factory manifolds. If you want headers I had good luck with these .

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode