2003 Wrangler Sahara-HELP! lol - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2003 Wrangler Sahara-HELP! lol

hello fellow Jeepers...
i bought my first jeep wrangler sahara(2003)...and i want to put a Rancho suspension and coil kit on it...that will give me a 2 inch lift...
since all of you are more experienced than me..do i need to change anything else? i mean will the 2 inch lift have any other side-effect on anything else in the car? like the differentials and all ...i really have no experience in those things..so..any advice is very well appreciated..
thank you..
you can contact me on the following address:

[email protected]

Camel wrangler
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1079387-DSC00305.jpg (34.3 KB, 87 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: 2003 Wrangler Sahara-HELP! lol

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Please complete your user profile:[*] It's a nice thing to do.[*] It's helps to know who we're talkin' to.[*] It helps to know what's your ride.[*]It helps to know the local in which you live.

3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. If you've done the lift correctly,
6. There should be OK...
7. Bare in mind... there will be more force exerted on the running gear,
8. And the steering components...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Is that actually your Jeep in the picture? It looks like a professionally taken photo for Jeep advertising. If it is I'm curious at to where you live. It looks like you've got the European style plate on the front.

With 2 inches of lift you should be alright without changing anything else. Bigger tires of course, but thats a given right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah.. old hand...
it is my jeep..its brand new...
well i live in Dubai, the united arab emirates...i used to go to school at OHIO State uni.....just moved back to my home country and bought my jeep to enjoy the amazing soft sands of the middle east...
i am getting bigger tyres...but i was wondering if i needed to change anything else..i dont want to damage the differentials or anything...i heard i had to change so many things when i lift the car..thats why i am curious!

thanks for your advice by the way
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

by the way...here are couple of links to pics of our trips out to the desert...
we just started a new club in the area.. www.dubai4x4.com

links:
www.abohassan.com/bigred
http://www.abohassan.com/4april03
http://www.abohassan.com/14mar03
http://www.abohassan.com/28mar03

enjoy...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:11 PM
BigUgly

Let a little air out of the tires and you foat on top a little better. But, you are correct wider tires will also help you on the floation on sand. Looks like alot of fun out there in the sand.

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 01:12 AM

I had the pleasure of a brief stay in Jabal ‘Ali and made a few day trips into Dubai. A lovely city, very interesting to see the differences in culture, architecture, you name it. It was funny to see some of the similarities as well.

Please take no offense as none is intended, but how could you take it out to the desert? I feared we veered off the road in a taxi that we’d get stuck in the “desert” alongside the highway. I’ve been in a few ports around the world, but only one where the beach ran on for what seemed like ever. Now if you said you were taking the Jeep up to the hills, that’d make sense. I never got to the Eastern side of UAE to see the mountains.

Keep having fun, looks like some great trips. My suggested mod - full cage!

[img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]What're your thoughts on Jeep chicks showing up there someday? [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 06:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

2" on a TJ shouldn't cause anything too bad. And like it has been said above, some wide tires will really help you out in the sand. Stay away from Mud tires, AT's are best in the sand. Another thing you may think of with your new set of tires is a new set of wheels. I have no Idea about the laws where you live, but if you are going to run mostly sand (I would guess you will) Then you should look into some bead lock wheels. They will hold the tire on the bead, and you can run real low air pressure (great for sand wheeling) without loosing the bead. And then another nice mod for you would be On board air.
Welcome to the board.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:52 AM

I think 2" coil spacers instead of new springs would do what you want for much less expense and no difference in performance. A nice wide 31-32" tire with an all-terrain tread pattern (even some street tires work very well in sand when aired down) would do very well on your Jeep without requiring a differential change.

If you're running a 10.5" wide tire, use 7" wide rims. Technically these rims are too narrow, but they help hold the bead of the tire on the rim when you air down for sand. I run my 31x10.5" tires at 10-15psi on a 15x7" rim and have had no trouble with tires coming off. The floatation is excellent!
For 11.5-12.5" wide tires, go with the 8" wide rim.

Ahh... 'wheeling in the dunes [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode