Thoughts of selling the CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Thoughts of selling the CJ

Well I keep having problems with the electrical stuff. The new fuel and temp guages I installed worked for about a week and now they don't work. The battery will drain if I don't disconnect it when I'm not using it, and now something else has gone awry that I haven't figured out yet. On top of that is the possible engine noise that I just started hearing the other day. Now I know all of this is fixable but at what cost? I really love CJ's but being that its a CJ-5, its near impossible to drive friends around because they can't get into the back unless they are contortionists or the top is off. I bought this thing "pre-built" by the PO. He did a pretty good job on most things but I'm skeptical of some of the work he's done, including the full cage. If I did sell this one I'd definately get another Jeep. I've already started looking at ads for other CJ's in my area and a few M715's. I really love the M715. So I'm wondering what other people think of this. I'd really like to build a Jeep how I like it instead of how the PO wanted it. With all the knowledge I've gotten now I could definately avoid buying the problems I got last time around. Its not for sale yet but it might be this summer. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Thoughts of selling the CJ

1. Do I ever have thoughts of selling the CJ?
2. Yep, about a hundred times a day,
3. But then who'd buy the hunk o'junk?
4. That brings me back to my senses,
5. And I go about my day planning how to fix 'er up.
6. But I gotta admit... an M715 with a Diesel and Automatic Overdrive
7. Would be just too darned cool.
8. Oh, saying that...
9. Where are ya planning on putting your friends in an M715?
10. I can just see 20 of 'em hanging out the box! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

After a few more days of thinking about it, I really do think I'm gonna sell her this summer. I've decided that I'm tired of not having a tail gate, and trying to put large things such as people in the back with the top up. The wheelbase is a little short for me too. But I'm sure I could find her a good home. I also think I finally figured out why my battery wasn't holding a charge [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]. And I don't mind shoving my friends in the back of a M715. Most of them are from the country and don't mind anyhow. Plus, they are convertible Jeep pickup trucks. How much cooler does it get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 04:18 AM

I'd say sell it ....and buy a Rubicon !
Thats what 'd love to do...and that's the only other vehicule that I would trade my CJ for...
I already had the same thought as you... I even put it for sale...and then when people would call to buy it I would say "It's not for sale anymore " I just couldn't sell it and I'm glad I did not sell it....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 01:39 PM

So what are you going to ask for it?

Seems like most times it is not possible to sell for even close to what was paid... [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

M-715 is as old or older than CJ... will have similar gremlins. Still way cool. Still way fun. Much bigger package.

Good luck. Was talk of M-715s FS on the IFSJA Buy/Sell/Trade board not long ago. Was also a really cool ex-firetruck M-715 that sold on e-bay for like $6600.
[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Hey thanks for that link to the IFSJA. I'm gonna have to ask a bunch of questions over there before I jump into this for sure. How much would I ask...I don't really know. I'd start high, maybe $6,500. I live in a rich area so people might be willing to pay that. I'm used to gremlins in my Jeep, so as long as the gremlins don't stop me from getting in, turning the key, and driving off I don't mind. Where exactly in MI are you? I found an M715 for sale in Ida which is in the far southeast corner of the state. Its in my price range but I don't want to drive 5 hours to see a crappy looking truck. If you are anywhere close or if anyone else out there reading this is let me know if you'd be willing to take a quick look at it for me.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 07:20 PM

I've had those thoughts pass through my head and i'm just not sure. My mom actually said today do i want to part it out. I have no clue what i'm going to do, my tj hasn't been on the trail for ever and it's killing me. I'm to the point where i just want a jeep that wheels and i had been making progress on my d44 front axle swap but now my buddy won't be able to do the hard mild steel to cast steel welds on my dana 44 for a while and i need a jeep ready to go before the badlands bash so i'm not sure what will happen. Remeber a m715 will be older, have a smaller engier, more gremlins, and harder to find parts than a 76-86 CJ.

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 11:57 PM
RedSandDog

Well,

I just went thru this and...

I ponied up and bought the Rubicon. Selling my current daily driver (VW Jetta VR-6 w/low miles, in case anyone is shopping), and all the really cool mods I have for my CJ-5, then gonna put the -5 back together and sell it too.

Took some soul searching, I am a CJ guy from back in the day, but bottom line is I want to hit the trails, and I wnat ot drive around in a Jeep that runs. I love CJs but I just don't have the time.

Now I am lucky, I am in a postion where I can get a Rubi, but there are a lot of great Jeeps out there that can be counted on. Even a YJ, with their mis-shaped headlights, are stout Jeeps and good vehicles. Early TJs are getting to a point where they are affordable. There is also a lot to be said for on road safety of the newer Jeeps, and the off road capabilities.

I will always have a soft spot for early CJs, but then I have a soft spot for '67 'Stangs too. Too much engineering going into the the newer vehicles to stick with the old guys on a daily basis.

It's just too tough. All it took was one trail ride to get over my sentiment for my old CJ, it is a history piece now AFAIC.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'd love a Rubie, or even an older TJ but the simple fact is I can't afford one and afford to modify it. I had to get a loan to pay for the CJ and I still have more than a year left on that. If I got a TJ, something as basic as a lift would make me broke. I honestly refuse to buy a YJ. They just aren't worth my looking at them. They either have a crappy carb, a crappy tranny, or a crappy engine. Not to mention the crappy axles. I'd end up swapping axles and spending more $$ on a SYE or something else trying to fix it. The thing I love so much about the M715 is that they can be found for cheap, they have beefy axles, they can fit up to 38.5 tires without a lift of any kind, stock twin shifter on the transfer case, granny low gear on the tranny, low gearing in the diffs, wide axles, fold down windshield, and its a convertible! Really it is everything I want. The only thing I would change would be to put a V8 in it but I can't afford the gas anyways and that 6 cyl is a good engine from what I hear. So if anyone out there hears of one for sale within say 5 hours of Chicago let me know. The more I think about it the more I want to buy one. Plus when I buy a trail rig in the future, I'll already have my tow rig.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:42 AM

I hate to see people get discouraged when they run into problems.. As trailisman said, you generally won't get what you paid for it(I will refer to this again in a moment).. It seems the main three issues you are having right now are

1 - Electrical problems. I have had these too, but they have become few and far between. I have been slowly replacing & re-wiring my jeep for the last few months, and everything is beginning to work out well, and cost almost nothing.. The biggest thing is to start replacing your ground wires.. Start tracing them and make sure the *ALL* your ground wires have clean connections.. This will make a world of difference.. Or if you don't have the time to do this, then look into a Painless wiring system, and just re-do the entire thing..

2 - Your full roll cage. Take it out, cut out the main hoops, and rework it from there. Your options are endless. You will already have a bunch of spare pieces, you may have to buy some more tube, but the majority of it will already be there.

3 - 'Possible engine noise'. My engine has been making a *LOT* of noise since shortly after I got it. It's still running 2 years later, just burns a little oil. I spent a bit of money and bought another vehicle with the engine that I wanted (86 Grand Waggie) pulled & rebuilt the engine. Sold a bunch of other pieces, and have recouped that money with not too much work. Should have the engine in within the next month.. Problem solved..

Before you decide to abandon the project, consider what you will loose (I told you I would get back to this). How much will you lose on the sale (of course you may come out ahead if you find the right buyer). How much time have you spent fixing it up, and are you willing to give all that up?

I do agree that a M715 would be very cool, but you will probably see issues 1 & 3 with most old vehicles anyway..

Just my thoughts on the subject..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode