Front Disc Brake ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Front Disc Brake ?

I have a 84 cj8 w/ 4 wheel power disc brakes. The brakes have never felt just right. It has the Navajo brake booster w/ a 79 Firebird m/c for 4wheel disc brakes. Over the weekend I thought I would bleed the m/c and all the brakes. Removed the m/c, bench bled it, put it back on and started bleeding the brakes. RR first, then LR. My son was pumping up the brakes and the rears all had good pedal. Got them done, move to front. RF first, pumped up the brakes and had good pedal. Turn the bled screw, alittle air ok, tighten bleed screw, brakes would not pumpup. I'm thinking, what the h.... Tried it again, got good pedal. Ok, one more time, they wouldn't pumpup again. I clamped off the line and they would pump up just fine. Went to drivers side and the same dang thing happened. Clamp the line they would pump up as long as I had the passenger side line clamped also. I'm thinking bleeder screws a bad. No evidence of calipers leaking anywhere. Couldn't find any bleeder screws over the weekend. What are the chances that both bleeder screws were bad or am I looking in the wrong place?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 07:44 AM

Re: Front Disc Brake ?

Do they leak fluid, even when closed? Even a tiny drop? Wipe the nipple clean, and then have your son keep steady pressure on the pedal. If a drop forms, even if it takes a few minutes, you have either a bad bleeder or a damaged caliper. Otherwise your problem is something else.

I have found that gravity bleeding works fine on my '78. I just open a bleeder and let it drip for a few minutes, makeing sure that the reservoir stays full.

By the way, I don't like the idea of clamping a brake hose - puts an awful lot of concentrated stress on it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Re: Front Disc Brake ?

I think I'll just replace the calipers. The bleed screws are $4.00 @ and the calipers are $16.00 @. I agree about clamping the hoses, but since they were going to be replaced,I thought, what the heck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode