D44 Carrier swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:20 AM
CJ5_1965

D44 Carrier swap

I have what might be a dumb question...

I have a spare axle, with an open diff and 4.27 gears. Currently, I'm running 4.88's and posi. Both are 19 spline from a '65 cj5.

Since the jeep is becoming a trail-only rig, I am thinking about welding the open diff and putting it in. Can I just swap carriers and bolt the ring gear on without going through the diff set-up?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:40 AM

Re: D44 Carrier swap

I`m not understanding why you want to go from 4.88`s and a posi to 4.27`s and welded? Anyway, If you
remove and replace everything keeping the shims in the right order and such, maybe. I would change it all
and pattern it to see how it looks, If it looks okay, and it`s just atrail rig I`d run it. If the pattern looks funky,
get it set up. And if it`s going to see much on-road use, go get it set up properly.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:58 AM
CJ5_1965

I guess I wasn't clear. I would like to keep the 4.88's, but run the welded open carrier, so I want to bolt the 4.88 ring gear onto the open (spare) carrier and put it in the rear. Same 4.88 ring and pinion gears that are currently in the vehicle, but with the welded open carrier rather than the posi that is currently in it.

Hope that makes a little more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 11:15 AM

If you swap carriers, you should re-setup the gears. Otherwise, you are banking on luck that both carriers were machined precisely the same. Maybe you can do it yourself, there are lots of resources here on the Web for how to check patterns and setting them up. Personally, I have a professional set up my gears.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 04:15 PM

if its like a trash lock posi, you should be able to weld that up, and not worry about swapping carriers.
be forwarned though!

its awsome offroad!, But on road it feels like your dragging something all the time, and it EATS tires on the pavement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode