K & N Filter oil - How much to use? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

K & N Filter oil - How much to use?

I just cleaned my K & N filter after several years of use. Washed a lot of dust and grit out of it. Hey, the instructions say clean it every 50,000 miles and that the dirt actually improves the filtering properties.

It's a conical filter, 14" of filter element length, and 7" diameter at the big end (ok, I went overboard). I bought the filter cleaning kit and followed the instructions. Thought I might get a couple of uses out of the kit, so I used the cleaner sparingly. I used less than 1/4 of the cleanser, and it washed nice and clean. Then I got to the oiling instructions. It says spray one pass per pleat at 3". That's a lot of pleats. I did that and one spray can was pretty much used up on the job. Is this normal? I'm just curious as I had hoped the $15.00 cleaning kit would be good for several cleaning and re-oilings. I also recognize that my air filter is large. Is there any other oil I can use next time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:17 AM

Re: K & N Filter oil - How much to use?

That is a big filter your using, But I would think you could get more service from your kit than that. I could
be wrong, But it sounds to me that your going alittle heavy on the re-oiling. Like I said, I could be wrong
because my filter is the standard round kind. My kit has lasted multiple washing and re-oiling`s. One thing I
will say is that I clean mine much more often than what your doing. I clean it when I see that it`s visably
dirty on the outside, regardless of what the milage is. When my service kit is used up I`m going to try
cleaning it with a grease cutting dish soap like dawn, mixed with water in a squirt bottle. Shouldn`t be any
reason it won`t work. As far as oil goes, I`m thinking one of the spray olive oil`s for cooking might work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 10:38 AM
CJ5_1965

How much to oil?!?!?

Sounds to me like you sprayed way too much oil on it. Let it sit for a while, and if it drains any oil - you overoiled.

I have been using K&N on motorcycles and off-road vehicles for a long time, What I typically do is spray a number of light coats until the filter is a uniform light pink. I spray from 6-8 inches and move the can rapidly. I switched from UNI filters to K&N when I moved to the desert and had issues (read: premature wear and engine failures) from the fine dust.

As for washing the filter, I use dish soap. It works as well as the stuff from K&N.

I'd be wary of using any oil other than gauze filter oil - I've only ever used Toyota TRD and K&N oils. I don't recommend experimenting with your engine's life to save $8 every 50k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode