Lock Rite - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lock Rite

I'm planning on purchasing the Lock Rite traction control differantials. As of now I can only afford 1 set. What would be better to get it for, the D30 front, or the D35 rear? How hard are they to install? The add says I can use common tools and that my ring and pinion wont be touched. Are they really worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Lock Rite

Once again I am no expert on this topic...BUT i have talked to local 4x4 shops and they tend to tell me all the same. Be very careful of the lockers where you dont need to crack the diff. They tell me its kind of a "get what you pay for deal" This is just what I hear. You may want to give a call to you local 4x4 shop.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What did they tell you? Do they cause any serious problems? I'm not really hard on my vehical. It is a daily driver that I take on the train on the weekends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I believe that Lock Rite is an exellent locker for off road. It's cheap too. But it is a little harsh on the street. Be carefull, don't put money into axles that you may not be keeping long. I've never even driven a yj or tj but I read a lot that those axles aren't very strong if you off-road enough to need a locker.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:20 PM
Way Outta Control

Scare tactics so you'll have them do it.

You do "open" the diff, you do remove the ring gear, you do remove the side gears, then you install their gears, re-install everything as it was. They just give you instructions how to set everything back like it was.
No, you don't remove or need to reset the pinion.

I'm sure if you xcalled Lock Rite they'd send you the installation instructions so you can see for yourself.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:26 PM
RedSandDog

They are the least rugged of the lockers, but lots of people use them with good results, and if they break they are easy to fix, usually. If you don't get crazy with them they should be fine. They take a little getting used to on the street.

Are they worth it? I think so. Easy to install, good results on the trail. They are going to add stress to other components in your axles, and neither of the axles you mention are considered very strong.

Like I say, if you drive it sensibly you should be fine.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:33 PM

The Lockright is a good locker. I`ve ran them in the rear and still use one in the front. The carrier assembly
will need to be removed from the housing and the ring gear will have to be taken off the carrier to install it
though. If you have some skill at things mechanical you won`t find it difficult. And no it won`t change your
ring and pinion settings as long as you mark your ring gear and carrier at some point and re-assemble it in
the same spot. You also need to mark the carrier bearing caps so that they go back on the side they came
from and in the same orientation. In other words, mark the cap with an arrow pointing up, with paint or a
chisel so it goes back on the way it came off.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:37 PM
RedSandDog

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The carrier assembly
will need to be removed from the housing and the ring gear will have to be taken off the carrier to install it
though

[/ QUOTE ]

Not always, I put them in D30s with 3.54 and 3.31 gear ratios without removing the carrier, but with a 3.73 gear ratio I did have to remove the carrier. It is different from ratio to ratio within axles
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:53 PM

Yes your right, I stand corrected. I guess I was ASSuming he may have some REAL gears inside his axles [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 12:16 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I've got a Lock Rite in my AMC 20. It was installed when I purchased my CJ so the only way I know its there is the clicking around turns. It seems to work well and I don't really have a problem with it on the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode