2.5L Wranglers, give me some info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.5L Wranglers, give me some info

Hey, I have a 2.5L wrangler with an MSD ignition, blaster coil, cold air intake & poweraid TB spacer, 33"s, & 4.56 gears (locked F/R), Gibson exahust (no header yet).

Just wondering:

1. What gas mileage you guys get

2. Can you use 5th gear?

I get anywhere from 8-17 miles per gallon. The reason it varies so much is because I can't use 5th gear much, because it just doesn't have enough power. I can use 5th gear around 60 miles per hour, but anything above that it just needs to be dropped into 4th. Problem, is that in 5th gear @ 65+ it is already around 2500+ RPMs, so I know if I go to 4.88's I'll be upping the RPMs and losing even mroe miles per gallon.
You guys figure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2.5L Wranglers, give me some info

I have the same engine and canīt undestand one comment on your message:
" Problem, is that in 5th gear @ 65+ it is already around 2500+ RPMs, so I know if I go to 4.88's I'll be upping the RPMs and losing even mroe miles per gallon"
If you go to 4:88 you will RAISE the RPM to the GOOD torque zone where you will be able to move those big 33"... the problem you have now is that at 2500rpm you donīt have enough torque (nor hp) to move the tyres... raise the rpm and you will better your milage and your speed.
AT LEAST that is my opinion and hope to be right because that is the same exact configuration i will run on my car...
Eduardo
[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 07:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Anything about 60 MPH and you need to downshift into 4th? Wouldn't going faster increase the RPM's and put you in a better torque range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can increase speed in 4th gear to get to about 75 and then if I shift into 5th, she just bogs and then I am back to 55-60. She just can't hold the speed in 5th (only when going downhill and the wind is with me).
I know that I can get 5th to come back if I went to 4.88's, my fear was that sine the motor would be revving higher, that I would be burning more gas.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not being able to use 5th has little to do with your gas mileage. If you can't use 5th you .......just can't use 5th. This is a common perception problem that people have when the go to bigger tires.

The bottom line is that if you are driving 60-65 mph and you can't use 5th ....then 4th places the engine in a range it needs to be at that speed with those gears and those tires. Your only solution is to go to something like 4.88 gears ...why? ...so you can have the engine turning exactly (or near) the same rpms at that same road speed??? ...except in 5th instead of 4th. I know the intiable need to bang another gear [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I'd be more worried if your 1st gear wasn't low enough to manuver off the line or on inclines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode