Am I stuck in 4 hi????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Am I stuck in 4 hi?????

I have a '92 wrangler, 231 t-case . . . .

Even if in 2-hi the front driveline spins. Now, I still have the stock d30 front with the vaccuum aactuated frontend with a locker.

So, what I am not sure of is if my t-case is locking the front gearset to drive the front driveline

OR

if the vacuum actuator on the front end is locking the front permanently and therefore the driveline is spinning because the locker/tires on the frontend is spinning, etc . . .

I guess the best test is to unbolt my driveline is see if I can spin it when not connected to the front end. ANd I'll test that today, and I bet it is NOT the t-case.

What I don't get is how the D30 locks the front end. I took off the Axle Shift Motor (the vacuum motor on the axle with the shift collar), and it moved left and right kind of.

Dunno, just looking for someone that knows this problem to give me some help.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Am I stuck in 4 hi?????

Just reach under and see if you can turn the front driveshaft by hand with everything connected. I've got the D300 and manual hubs on the front axle and my front driveshaft turns There's nothing to keep it from turning so friction causes it to turn even though it's not engaged at either end.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Not tring to start anything here.

I have a dana 30 front, manual hubs, and a dana 20 transfer. My front drive shaft is still when driving in 2 high. I don't have a front locker if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Jack up the front end and spin the tires. If the driveshaft spins then you know that your axles are engaged. The next test to do would be to drop the driveshafts and see if the front output of the transfer case turns. If it does and your axles are engaged then yes you are in 4 high. I suppose technically you'd be in 4 high even if your axles weren't engaged but your tcase was. I hope this makes sense.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll jack her up tomorrow when it stops raining. If the front end is locked, then I guess the only way to fix it is to start tinkering with the vacuum lines or shift motor right? Because that means it is not working. If the t-case is stuck in 4 high, then what do I do? Get another one from a junkyard?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Old Hand

Your driveshaft in the front will turn all the time since you dont have lockouts on it. The drivers side axle will make the drive shaft spin due to the locker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode