97 TJ Automatic Trans. Overdrive question. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

97 TJ Automatic Trans. Overdrive question.

I cant seem to find this manual for this damn thing so Im going to ask a question here. Im not 100% positive, but im fairly sure that my tranny has an overdrive. I would like it to stop shifting into overdrive if this is possible. With the oversize tires (33's) that I have on it know the overdrive does more bad than good it seems. Is there a way stop the overdrive from kicking in?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 97 TJ Automatic Trans. Overdrive question.

You don't have an overdrive ...but you've got a lock up converter. You could just pull the wire to it ...but you will get a code because the PCM will perceive too much of a differential between the engine rpm and vehicle speed. I don't think it turns on the check engine light.

The 32RH is a simple trans. If you want you can have the line pressure increased (adjust the throttle position cable) and your shift points will be raised a bit (I'm pretty sure ..as much as you want). I also believe that the addition of a JET chip delays the converter lock up.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Hey, thanks allot for the reply. Can you tell me what a Lock up converter is? Im going to do a little research on this and see what I can come up with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 03:18 AM
MOX
Old Hand

Hey guys, great post. I have been meaning to ask this question for so long but it never crosses my mind when I get on here. Ok here is my question. My converter thing kicks on somtimes at like 70-75. Is there a way to get the thing down to like 60? Is there a diagram on its location in a YJ Chiltn? Any help would be great!!!!!
Chris West

[img]images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (big smile on my face) [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Where have you been? The lock up torque converter has been around for a while......

Anyway, although I've never actualy seen a cut away on one ..it's basically a clutch in that locks the turbine and the impeller in your fluid coupling between the engine and the trans internals. Before the adoption of this ...there was always a differential between the engine speed and the input speed of the trans. Although I really don't think that it can give any better gas mileage, due to the added load that it puts on an engine,...it does lower trans temperature.

I think that perhaps the dealer can set the parameters of when it kicks in with a DRB2 scanner ..... but I'm not sure. I really don't see the need for these things. Automatics have survived for decades without them without too many adverse side effects. The DC converter has the distinction, in some models, of self destruction, sending material throughtout the trans - mandating a rebuild.

Unhook the wire ..and throw on a big cooler.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 08:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Mox ...

.....hmm....if it's not kicking in until 70-75 ..something is "unright". I'm not sure on your YJ ...but I would assume that yours is controlled by the PCM just like the TJ. The only input to the trans is the throttle position cable (since the torque flight came out ...til 2002). The computer determines the right time for this to engage (or should). That would probably mean that you have some other issue (or so I would reason). I'm not sure if the PCM provided current to the clutch ...or a ground for it.

dorfs would know all these little items (dorfs= John Dorfinger ..a highly skilled and trained DC technician who swims near the top of the gene pool)

Does your ONLY engage at 70-75?

Hopefully someone with personal experience with this problem will ring in here.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Lockup converter Is just like Geehaa said it locks the torque converter's shell (the outside) to the input shaft like a manual trans. My guess is that with your trans the govoner pressure could be to low not kicking the converter valve on, but then your shifts would be late or not at all. If you have adjusted the throttle pressure cable it can do the same thing (need greater gov pressure to overcome trottle pressure). Also the converter disengages and will not lockup when you coast or when the brakes are on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode