Destroyed T5, What to do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Destroyed T5, What to do?

My son blew out third gear in the 1982 CJ-7 on his way to school yesterday. Now, I have to decide what to do. I appear to have several choices, among those are:
1) rebuild or replace the T-5. probably the cheapest in the short run, but based on what I have learned here, probably not a good idea,
2) Go with a NP435 and with a T-case adapter. After rebuild and all the parts needed, about $1200.
3) Go with the Advance Adapters NV3550 kit, $1895 complete with new trans.
4) There are other manual trans options, but they seem to be even more expensive after buying all the necessary adapters.
5) One of the more knowledgeable guys in the club suggested switching to an automatic. Said the torqueflite would be best. This is where I am out of my league. I don't know much about autos in jeeps but it appears that this is the trans (999) that came in this model jeep. Being so, it would bolt right up wouldn't it? I also assume that not any torqueflite would do. What would be a good donor vehicle for one (besides another cj)

Additional info:

This jeep is used as a daily driver and limited use off road usually on easy to moderate trails (rocky). Engine is a fresh stock 258 with a MC 2100 carb. The jeep appears to have 3.31 gears. It has 32 in tires.

Also, used jeep parts are hard to find out here and if you find it, they want an arm and a leg. I would probably have a better chance at winning the lottery than finding a T-18a.

Another thing, time is of the essence, the wife doesn't want to drive him to school any more than necessary!

Any info on the auto swap or other suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 01:31 AM

Re: Destroyed T5, What to do?

What transfer case are you running?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Veteran

If you need the jeep to run now I would pull the transmission and remove the broken chunks. This should keep it driveable (you really don't need all the gears) and buy you some time.

Here are my thoughts:

I would recomend against rebuilding the T-5 I have had very bad luck with them.

A posiblity you have not listed is the T-176,177,178 these are medium duty 4 speeds. They are the same internally but had different first gears. They came in CJ's from 80 to 86 and have a good reputation. They are the same overall length as the T-5 so it should be a bolt in swap (the only posible issue would be the tunnel cover). These often go on ebay for about $150.

An other is simmilar to your option 2. However there is no need to limit yourself to the NP435. Both Novak and Advanced Adaptors make adaptors for the Np 435, and Ford 2wheel drive T-18. These adaptors creat an overall trany length the same as the T-5 so no drive shaft changes are needed. The price of these kits runs about $450 to $500. Both ford and dodge use the NP 435 for years so they are very commen I would not spend more then $200 for one. Ford used the T-18 for many years as well so they sould also be cheep. However the adaptor kits for the T-18 only work with the Ford 2 wheel dirve verson. While you may wish to rebuild the t-18 or NP 435, it is not all that importent. These are both very very strong tranys with very good reputations. Provided the transmission has been in the original truck and not laying in the mud it is likely in ok shape. I would simple change the oil and run it. Odds are very good that it will be okay.

I know very little about the NV3550 this is aparently a stronger verson of the NV3500 used in YJ's and TJ's. Aparently the new jeeps use the NV3550. The big question here is what are you willing to pay for overdrive. This is your only option for OD personally I like OD but am not willing to pay that much money for it. Personally I would not take this option, I have swarn that any transmission in my jeep will hence forth be heavy duty. This happened after I destroyed a world class T-5. I have since become very suspicious of tranys that have HD versons created of them. Often the only things improved are the bearings because they are about all you can redesign in a transmission without a complete redesign. I feel it dosent say much when a transmission is redesigned only 2 or 3 years after it's introduction. Tranys like the T-18, NP435, SM420 and SM465 are know to be very very strong and yet stay the same over decades of manufacture. When a trany is redesigned after only a few years it tells me they are playing the very edge of the components and the trany is not very reliable when used hard.

If you wish to swap in a auto, the stock replacement would be a TF999, however you will need to get at least the torque converter for a CJ with 258(Torque converters are specific to engine and vehical weight). You would also need to find/make a new shifter mechanisum, I think that a floor shifter is avalible from Hurst, and likely from others as well, but is likely expencive. Another posible problem could be the kickdown linkage. If you got rid of the bell crank in the throtle linkage when you put the MC2100 on you will need to put it back on to hook up the kick down linkage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

The transfer case is a dana 300.

Bandhmo - you have given me a lot of food for thought. I hadn't even considered the kick down issue. I will also look into the other manual transmissions you suggested.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 08:47 AM

I will add that I did the T-18 swap when my T-4 kicked out third gear and it is a great tranny. I bought a complete "kit" from Part's Mike ,including tranny, LUK clutch, AA tranny torque arm, AA Dana 300 adapter and new pilot bushing plus shipping from Cali to Colorado for $1200. My bellhousing needed modifying (drill and tap three holes); the bosses are in the bellhousing casting. It was an easy gratifying upgrade and I didn't feel the price was out of line for what I got.

If you go auto, check out TF727. Heavy duty and widely available in later model waggies; which also came with a version of the MC carb I think? May make it easier for that kickdown linkage.

Max
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
However the adaptor kits for the T-18 only work with the Ford 2 wheel dirve verson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Parts mike sold me a conversion for a Jeep T-18a out of a 4x4 FSJ for $200.

55cj-5chevy - call you local junk yards and ask for a 4 speed out of a full size 70's J-10 or J-20 the call only takes a minute and you could get lucky. More info on T-18 In fact, you could have your son make the calls.

Jeepgod had a T-18a bolted into his cj-7 with no conversion done, it still had the 17'' input shaft and it seemed to fit fine. Pictures
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:57 AM
Journeyman

Are you sure that it is a direct bolt in??? When I did my swap, the guys at the shop told me that the t176 was a shorter tranny so the driveshafts had to modified.

Marcus
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You should buy this:

http://www.5speeds.com/t5/jeep.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

He can get a new T-18 bolt in for less than that. web page
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 08:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey what can I say, some of us need 5th gear more than we need a granny gear.

And while real pricey, don't forget this is a strait bolt-on affair, with no other mods/adapters required.

It's not the only answer, just one that I think often gets overlooked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode