need info on an engine.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 09:49 PM
goose

need info on an engine....

I have been given to okay to get a new engine for the CJ. What is recommended? A Chevy vortec v6 or go with a Jeep 4.o? I currently have a issue with the rear driveshaft being short but it works okay. If I went with the v6 will I be able to move everything forward and gain driveline length? How is the wirring issues? any link or reading info would be great! Thansk for the help!
Goose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Old Hand

Re: need info on an engine....

well, it all depends. how much time and money do you want to put into an engine swap? the easiest thing is to stick with what you already have.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 12:42 PM
goose

Well, The time and money issue is not really of concern. I have been putting up with this engine for some time now (1985) and an tired of the carb rebuilds and exhaust leaks ect..As far as the money goes, I have about $2k for the swap. My goal is to get a good engine with a few miles and fuel injection. If I went with the v6 it should net me a gain in driveline length which was lost with the A/A for the tranny and t-case, Again, any help will be great!
Goose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I really am not to knowledgable on this topic but it seems like you are very worried about your driveline angle. Look into to how much a slip-yoke eliminator would cost you. I am under the impression the cost about $500. I dont know for sure but it was just running through my head.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Addict

cj's dont run slip yokes.

id be in favor of the 4.3 v6. it takes sbc parts, which are plentiful, and has a great hp/weight ratio. a buddy just dropped one in his yoda with 39s and it spins the daylights out of them.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

V-8
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 06:00 PM

Why not go with a 304 or 360? Should bolt up to your tranny and replace your radiator and take off. (Rather simplified but should not hav eto mess with adapters an such.)

God Bless Our Troops.
Thank the Lord for the recovery of 7 of the POW's! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 06:49 PM

The 304, and 360 are not fuel injected.
I can not imagine why anyone would take the time and money to swap an engine and not go FI. I would personaly rather run a fuel injected Toyota engine before I would run any carbuerated engine,..thats just me, but if it wont run smoothly and reliably on supersteep hills, its just an anchor.
There are good aftermarket systems available but given the $2000 price tag he has placed on the swap, I dont think that will fit into the budget.

The 4.3 is decent engine but they are not very torquey, and HP is fairly expensive to build into them.
I have 5 friends who went to 4.3 in the last couple of years,..3 have since replaced them with V8 (2 SBC's, 1 5.0 HO Ford) The other 2 have solved the problem by adding NOS. They are both on very light vehicles also(one of them is Grady McCloeuds "Jackyl"). The 4.3 didnt even have the power to pull the my Buddy Camo's Toyota based rig up the puny sand dunes at Johnson Valley. He was running 38" tires, on a tubed buggy, and a built 4.3.
If you are gonna do a chevy swap, I would sure suggest the 350, or even the 305, at least when its all said and done you will have an FI engine swap that you can surely feel the difference.
That being said, Im not sure that even the 4.3 can be done well for $2000.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 01:24 AM

Though I'm about to drop in a carbed 360 into my 74 (I don't run extreme angles, and I got a whole wagoneer with a 4k mile engine for $200 after the PO blew the quadratrac and th400 all over hades) I would say go with a small block chevy as well. You can pick one up cheap at a wrecking yard and probably with FI. Heck just check with some of the insurance outfits and see if any of them have a line on a wrecked truck you can pick up cheap. Much as I like my Fords and AMC's (I'm a Ford guy at heart) the small block chevy is by far the biggest bang for the buck.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 01:33 AM

I swapped in a 360 into my CJ-5. If i had the money to do it, I would go Vortec FI 4.3. Put a Th350 or SM420 to it and adapt a Dana 300. That would be the ultimate driveline for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode