Holley Truck avenger - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Holley Truck avenger

I was just wondering if anyone has tried the Holley OFF ROAD Truck avenger Carb, and what you thought of it. I have an AMC 360 in my CJ-5, currrently using a Holley Double pump with Off-Road float springs, and vents. This just isnt cutting it. Too much stumbling on hill climbs. Looking for feedback. Thanks!! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 07:11 PM

Re: Holley Truck avenger

I can`t speak to your Holley Q, But I have been pretty happy with my Edelbrock 600. I had a some probs
before I installed the off-road needle and seat kit, But none afterward.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 07:15 PM

It got pretty good reviews in Peterson's 4 wheel and Off-Road. Quadrajets are another 4 bbl that seems popular for it's off camber performance.

If you're not set on having a 4 bbl, the Motorcraft 2100 2 bbl should be cheap and easy to find, and works very well off road. It was probably the original carb on that motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

I like the on-road performance of the double pump, four barrel. But off-road its pretty tricky. So, 4x401CJ5, You say your Edel. 600 works well off-road. What all did you do to it? What kind of MPG's do you get with it and a 401?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 07:44 PM
alesko

My choice would be, take off the holley,throw it over the hill and bolt on an edelbrock.
I have been running edelbrocks for the last 7 years,just bolt it on make some initial adjustments and forget about it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

You didnt have to add any type of Off-road kit ? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 09:35 PM

I had some stall, flooding issues off-road. It only happened on VERY steep uphill, downhill situations. I
installed an Edelbrock off-road needle and seat kit and haven`t had a problem since. I can`t say what I get
for mileage now because I haven`t checked in a long time. A couple years ago I was getting a little over 14
mpg if I was light on the skinny pedal. Thats with a performer intake, MSD Pro Billet dist. and MSD 6AL box.
Also stock exhaust manifolds that dump into dual 2 1/2" pipes and Dynomax turbo`s. I`ll also second what
alesko mentioned in his post in that the carb has been trouble free the 5+ yrs. I`ve owned it, and it was on
the Jeep when I bought it. I`m not saying that Holley`s are bad, I had a 500 cfm 2 bbl. on a 304 in my last
Jeep (`73 CJ5), and it was an exellent off road carb. It never once flooded on hills, I liked it alot and never
had a problem with it. I never had any good luck with a single holley 4 bbl. I owned, ALWAY`S blowing power
valves. I alway`s liked the Carter AFB`s, which is what the Edelbrock carb`s really are.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 12:28 AM
JimD

I have been running the truck avenger for almost a year and it works great, I just need to rejet it for the elevation I live at. It stumbles a little after crawling around and then give it alot of skinny pedel. (loading up)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1077631-carb2.jpg (88.7 KB, 24 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.! Now I need to decide this week if I am going with the Holley Truck Avenger or the Edelbrock Perf. 1406. With the off road float and springs. Any last comments!!! :
[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:13 PM
BMF

Also set your float as low as you can and block off the passage between both sides, I used some fuel line with screws in them. This helped a bunch, while it's definitely not fi its alot better than the stock setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode