stuffing up a transfer case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 12:23 AM
ODgreen

stuffing up a transfer case

How simple is it to stuff up a transfer case (inside the frame). Ive got a d300 and when i get my sm465 swapped in i wana make my belly flat as a pancake. Ive heard it is as simple as unbolting it from it crossmember mount putting a jack under it and jacking it up to where you want it. then just welding up a new crossmember and skid plate.
I really have no clue where to start or what to think. Any input would be apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 12:34 AM
BigUgly

Re: stuffing up a transfer case

I do know that if you try it you will have to watch the angles. I put a T18 in my `62 behind a Chevy small block and the angles might be you downfall. The pinion and tcase have to be real close or the driveshaft vibrates really bad. As for the d300 I think that there are some clocking adapters to turn it so that it is up out of the way. I think Advance Adapters as a kitto do that. You also have to check the under side of the floorboards to make sure you have the room. Theres about a nickles worth.

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 12:42 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I believe there is quite a bit more to it than that. Like BigUgly said, you gotta watch angles. And depending on how much lift you have, you might have too much angle on your driveline. If you want to gain a bunch of clearance, look into a clocking ring like BigUgly also mentioned. The best one I've seen is made by Go2Guy. His is very thin and has quite a few clocking positions. Like was mentioned before, you also need to make sure you have clearance above the drivetrain to move it up. More than likely you don't have much. Do you have a body lift at all? These are all things to take into consideration. Good luck and hope I've helped some.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 02:42 PM

you can get clocking rings here for $85!

http://www.cjoffroad.com/D300ring.asp
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 12:34 PM

You won't be able to just stuff it up if you want it flat. You will need the clocking ring. With the sm465 you will also need to cut off part of the shifter bracket to get it to clock flat. It is not a problem as when you twin stick it you will not need it anyway. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I am not sure who to give credit for this photo, maybe WC?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 10:04 PM

Send a PM to Lumpy85 on this board. He is making one for his T18 to D300. His name is Ryan. His clocking rings are gonna have 3 differeent mounting positions. The stock positon is located at 23*. his will also have 14*, 7*, and damn near flat. I think his rings are also just under 3/8" thick so you lose a minimal amount of spline engagement on the trans output. He is gonna make his personal one tonite at work. (We are machinists) so we can build his crossmember tomorrow. When he gets here tomorrow with it i will take a pic of it and post it. Hope this helps. Wade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode