What is best to 4x4 stick or automatic? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What is best to 4x4 stick or automatic?

What is the best to go 4x4ing stick or automatic? What is the best class of the wrangler to own?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:09 PM

Re: What is best to 4x4 stick or automatic?

There is really no "best" when it comes to manual or automatics.
Each has advantages and disadvantages - so just pick what you favor.

As for what "class" of Wrangler is best...that again is open to a wide discussion.
The general rule is to look for one made in 1991 or after as they have the fuel injected 4.0 while 1990 and earlier were carbureted.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is all personal preferance. I myself like stick, while some of my other buddies like the automatic. I especially like stick in the snow for reasons like stopping. Some may feel that they have more control while wheeling with an auto. Its all personal preferance. I hear only good things about the auto's under the Wrangler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Please complete your user profile:[*] It's a nice thing to do.[*] It's helps to know who we're talkin' to.[*] It helps to know what's your ride.[*]It helps to know the local in which you live.

3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate! Two brains are better'n one!
5. Me, I like automatics... [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Like stated, it's all about personal preferance.

With automatics you need to make sure the fluid stays plenty cool, and you usually need to relocate the vent so no water can get in. A plus is that an auto is nice on hills. You don't have to worry about three pedals at one time. This can be mad up for on a manual by means of a hand throttle. You also don't need to worry about burning up a clutch in an auto. Auto's are also more forgivining in rush our traffic, as you don't need to shift gears every few seconds.

Manuals are usually a lot more forgiving if a little water gets inside. You can gear down lower with a manual tranny, but an automatic's torque converter can usually take up quite a bit of slack. Manuals do better on down hill decends with help of compression(engine) braking. Manuals tend to also be shorter, which helps a lot when it comes to SWB vehicles and driveshaft angles. Manuals are also quite a bit simpler, so a rebuild is more realistic for a "do-it-yourselfer" than rebuilding an auto with it's million tiny parts(not really).

Either way you cut it, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I personally favor a manual. I feel I have more control over things, and like the challenge of having 3 pedals. Plus, there's nothing like ripping through the gears on the, but that usually applies to faster cars, not Jeeps.

P.S. If I missed out on anything, or stated something that has no means to back it up, let me know and I'll be glad to [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode