Semi-OT: 2 Jeeps in 2 weeks (with pics aplenty) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Semi-OT: 2 Jeeps in 2 weeks (with pics aplenty)

The household has been abuzz with Jeep-purchasing activity lately. First, my wife's granny-sedan ('93 Olds 88) started doing more and more of those typically annoying GM problems. At 40K, a tranny fluid change was showing lots of metal shavings, and the heater was starting to crap out. Considering its known problems with ice and snow traction, and the recent snow...

...we decided to shop. After much shopping, we chose what was to become our Jeep #2:

Jeep #2 (exact name awaiting spousal approval) is a '99 Cherokee Sport with your normal powertrian setup and power everything inside, plus a PO-added 6-disc CD changer. We got a good trade-in (they don't HAVE to know about the tranny, right?), new tires, price reduction, and very good financing.

Anyway, while shopping, I came across an unpassable deal in the local auto trader paper...

Jeep #3 is a '77 J10. The driveline is still in it, and all of it works. For multiple obvious reasons, it's not streetable and pretty much unrestorable. However, has two D44's with sound 4.10 gears. Total price, including rental of U-Haul car carrier to bring it home: $149.95.

Brief visions of putting a pair of 2.5t Rockwells with humongoid Michelin XLs or somesuch and a big-block, big beef drivetrain underneath are still itching in my head, but of course this is probably unreasonable. I guuess we'll only be a 3-Jeep family until all of Jeep#3's valuable parts have been sold off (which may not bee too long).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 06:44 PM

Re: Semi-OT: 2 Jeeps in 2 weeks (with pics aplenty)

Hard to beat the deal you got. 44's with 4:10's. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The rest was more than free. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] The wifes looks cool too. I'm trying to get the wife into one of those too. If only the household economy was better. Time will determine when she gets hers. While she wasn't too hip on them before..........after getting suck in the driveway, her mind has changed some. [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 06:48 PM
BigUgly

Did you find 44 w/410's and did you get a T18? That would be like Christmas for me. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

TheBigUgly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 07:17 PM

Nice purchases, we have 2 xj's (99 and 01) and i love them great daily drivers and parts haulers though i wish they would tow a little better because i'm afraid as can be to try and tow my tj with one. That J-10 looks like it would be a good project, i've always had thoughts of using a j-truck frame and cab and putting some 38's or 44's on it as a mud machine.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Unfortunately it's "just" a T-150 tranny, not a T-18... but I already have a buyer for that, so I shoudl be able to recoup my costs there alone. Yes, it was a good find [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

As for building it up, like I said, I'm tempted... but the cab is more rust and latex housepaint than steel, and if I'm just using the frame I might as well go with any pickup. I'd still love to build up a J-truck, I just don't think this is going to be the one.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 11:16 PM

Jeeper99xj- Don't worry about towing with the XJs, they should do just fine. I recently towed some serious weight with my MJ and it did great!

twin-axle car trailer- 1000#s
Honeywell Industrial dual-pump compressor- 500#s
John Deere 970 4x4 tractor (to move the compressor around)- I'm guessing at least 5000#s

And the truck towed it in High Range! The D35 and BA-10 didn't even comlain! However, I had to use 4x4 on the tractor to load it on the trailer, because it would pull the rear tires of the truck off the ground and push the truck/trailer combo forwards when I tried it in 2x [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 01:06 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
..........after getting suck in the driveway, her mind has changed some.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] Funny, even if you used spellcheck it wouldn't catch that...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2003, 01:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Am I reading that the same way you are? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode