AX-15 Shift light - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AX-15 Shift light

Some of you may have read my post about the wires on the AX-15, but now I'm wondering how to hook up my shift light. my YJ didn't come with one from the factory, but I can use the light socket from the emissions maintenance light-since mine has over 82500 miles, and for some odd reason,I don't think the 258 will be running at 165000 miles!!! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
so, how do I grab the right wire from the PCM to hook it up?

Green Grass and High Tides Forever!! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 02:38 PM

Re: AX-15 Shift light

What year is your YJ? Couldn't find it on your profile. I looked thru the schematics for all years with the 258's and the shift light hookup appears to be the same though. The schematic shows a pink wire from the ECM, changing to tan as it connects to the upshift switch. Tan comes out of the upshift switch to a brn/lt blu wire to the shift indicator. Would post a pic..., but my scanner is broken. Hope this helps and good luck. Laters.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply, and my YJ is a 1990 model. Guess I should work on my profile. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] anyway, back to the question. Since my YJ didn't have a shift light stock, would the upshift switch already be installed? Where is this switch, and how hard would it be to install if it's not there? I am going to be training a new driver, and someone else who has no experience in driving sticks. Other people on here have complained about the light being out of sync after adding tires and gears. how far off would mine be if I have stock gearing, and 31 inch tires?

Green Grass and High Tides Forever!! [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:19 PM

i have 33's on my YJ, and the first thing i did to it was unhook the shift light.. i couldnt stand seeing it on all the time.. its activated by rpm, and comes on at 1900 to 2000 rpm. got really annoying having it on almost all the time. the purpose is so you can theoretically get the best gas mileage possible. if you actually shift by it, you'll be dogging the engine on every shift unless you're going downhill. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2003, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would like to add an opinion. Forget about the light for teaching. Teach them to drive the manual transmission by ear. They shouldn't be looking at a guage. It's all feel anyway. Might as well use another sense. Instead of driving by nonsense. The Jeep will tell them right and wrong. Then pick up a new clutch for yourself. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode