Question about Jet Chip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Question about Jet Chip

Hey gang.....wondering if anyone can fill me in on the Jet Performance Chip? I'm thinking about getting it for my '97 TJ 4-banger....just wanted to check here before dropping $250+ for the thing....also just considering putting on an AirAid airbox replacement instead....

I tried a search here but couldnt really find anything....

Thanks,
Jim

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Question about Jet Chip

Hmmm....just did a more in-depth search about the chip....doesnt seem to be much positive stuff about it for the Jeeps....the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards the AirAid mod and a new exhaust system to help with the power issues....

Any suggestions you'all have will be great!!!

Jim

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok....did some more looking out there....any ideas about the Pro Comp air intake? Much less expensive then the Airaid option....pretty sure this is the route I'm going to take....

Come on gang!!! Give me some input!!!

Jim [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your doing great posting to yorself. HEHEHE. Funny.

I'm going to get the K&N Fipk for my 4.0L this spring. I'm not expecting to much of a difference. The company boasts 26 hp and other BB's I've read the people feel a difference. I haven't heard much about the Air Raid. Probably the same stuff. There is also a AEM Brute force system around. Claiming the same.

I'm just going to do it. See what happens myself.

As for the chip. I know nothing. I see it in the free catalogs a lot, and wonder...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditch....

Yea, I know what you mean....pretty sure I'm just going to go ahead and do it....kinda wish that K&N made a FIPK for the 2.5 but oh well....

Hey, gotta post to myself if no one else will!!! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input!

Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:16 AM

There are much cheeper air intakes out there or you can make your own with pvc pipe and a k&n or even have a muffler shop bend you up a piece of pipe to work the way you want it to and then go to auto zone and order a k&n filter for it. Check out www.turbocity.com and www.rustysoffroad.com for cheeper air intakes.

BarrelRoll
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey that Rusty's air tube looks simple. Have you tried that Jeeper99XJ guy?
There isn't a box... Interesting. The tube legnth becomes the same as K&N. WOW! HMMMMM.????!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:33 AM

I made a snorkle out of pvc pipe with a 2.5" k&n on it but i should have gotten a 3" k&n because i had to use a reducer, i can't remeber if i used 2 or 2.5" pvc pipe. I got the exhaust tubing idea because i used to work at a muffler shop and it just kinda hit me how easy it would be to do. Depending on the shop i'm guessing you might get charged $50 and then you would have to add a tube for the breather and some mounting tabs to it.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh I see you made a snorkle. I don't see why the muffler ducting wouldn't work.
Except:
Rusty's suggestion is buy their box elimination kit (which is just a K&N filter and fastners) get rid of the box, and stay with stock tubing. I don't see how that could work great. It's painless. The tube is already made it's in the Jeep now. The breather is there, it's already mounted. I have to wonder this seems so simple if it actually works well. The K&N tube looks smoother and maybe a bit shorter....get's cooler air because of baffling.
Look at this.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/img/EngineTube.jpg
Then Read this. This explained a lot.
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...k_tj/page2.asp
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 12:25 PM
Old Hand

Save your dough. I've got the jet chip and the k&n fipk on my tj. Can't say much for the chip, but the k&n was a definite plus, just expensive. I put both of these products on along with the gibson exhuast after I went to 35" tires trying to regain a little power. It did give some back, but gears are the only way to get back to what I had. Although I will say I smoked a buddy of mine in a turbo eclipse, and that's with 3.73 gears and 35's. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode