Rear shackle mounts / 85 CJ-7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 08:24 PM
adam7985

Rear shackle mounts / 85 CJ-7

Just had the rare opportunity to buy back my old '85 CJ-7 from the guy that I sold it to. (Long story, but I'm a happy camper, I regretted selling it)! I'm going through the couple/few things that he did to the Jeep while he owned it. The rear crossmember (or what I consider the rear bumper) was replaced. Looks like the rear shackle mounts were seperated from the frame when this was done. My question is... what's supposed to hold those mounts to the frame? I see new bolts on there now but don't see any way he could have gotten a nut on the inside of the frame. Were they originally bolted to the frame (threaded mounts?) or did they use those big rivets? I'm just curious how secure this set-up is now... if that was stock or if he just screwed in a couple bolts.

Next problem is just trying to get the thing to run. The guy dropped the gas tank and now I'm not getting any fuel going to the fuel pump. (And I know it has at least 4 gallons of gas in the tank)! I'm thinking maybe a line got pinched while reinstalling the tank or he hooked the hoses up wrong (another project- another day)! Anyone know where a guy could pick up a cheap used 'glass tub in northeast Illinois?

Thanks in advance for any input on those shackle mounts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 08:34 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Rear shackle mounts / 85 CJ-7

The rear shackle mounts are bolted to the frame. They have to be removed to change the crossmember.

On the fuel tank. Well it looks like you already know what you have to do. Pull it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Way Outta Control

1. There are nuts welded into the inside of the tailframe.
2. These nuts accept the shackle mounts.
3. Disconnect the input to the fuel pump,
4. Remove the gas tank filler cap,
5. Blow back into the tank.
6. If you hear bubbles...
7. The line's likely OK.
8. If not...
a. The synthetic line on top of the tank's rotted,
b. The line crosses over the frame at the rear wheel arch,
c. It could be crushed,
d. The line could be pinholed from rust...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I don't know how to fix your problems, but there is a place in Kenosha that has some fiberglass tubs. I'm not sure if he's got used ones or not but I do know he has some. His place is called Wally's Sales & Service. Phone number is (262)552-8330. He's open Tuesday - Friday 9-12 & 1:30 - 4. Give him a call to see what he's got. What city are you from? I'm from Northbrook but I go to school in Macomb.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 06:33 AM
adam7985

Thanks guys for the input! Just wanted to make sure this guy didn't drill out rivets and then stick bolts in there figuring that was good enough. I won't worry about it now.

I tried blowing air back through the fuel line... thought I heard bubbles but I also noticed that the line actually held some air pressure, so maybe I do have a pinched line back there. (Then again I might be using too much air). The fuel pump is making suction (thumb over input hose while cranking) so for now I'm assuming that it's doing its job. At least the bolts holding the tank up are still fresh and not all rusted up yet. I'd really like to do this right and not be driving around with an outboard gas tank in back (been there- done that)! The tub on this Jeep is SHOT but somehow the frame is real solid.

Knifeboy, I live in Winthrop Harbor, just north of the Waukegan area. I can almost throw a rock into Wisconsin or Lake Michigan. Been to Wally's but not recently- I'll have to give them a call.

Thanks again everyone! I lurk here a whole lot more than I post... it's nice to have the ol' Jeep back!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode