timing for 259 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

timing for 259

im leaving for college in a few minits, and it is running rough, after i messed with it. what is the "official" numbers for setting the timing? it is a 74, no smog stuff. sparky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 07:05 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: timing for 259

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
and it is running rough, after i messed with it. what is the "official" numbers for setting the timing?

[/ QUOTE ]1. Between 6* and 8* BTDC.
2. What do you mean... messed with it?
3. Are you afraid you introduced the problem?
4. Running rough is a big subject,
5. How's it running rough, under what conditions?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'm with LEVE, we need some more info on this. What did you mess with that may of caused the currect condition of running rough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the info, guys. I am Sparkys dad. It was barely running when he got here. The choke was stuck half closed, the carb idle mixture screw was all the way in, it was not firing on cylinder number 1, the throttle return spring had no tension, and after he got back from visiting one of his gurlfriends, the brake pedal dropped to the floor---no brakes! The parts store (its late Sunday afternoon) couldnt locate a master cylinder in town. They promised one at 8 in the morning but he needed to get back to college tonite. I had an old Pinto master cylinder, but the lines come out on the wrong side. I also had a brand new in the box Ford truck master cylinder with the connections on the right side but the two mounting holes were not the same as jeep and it has different threads for the brake lines and his pushrod did not fit. I fitted the new master cylinder and he says its the best the brakes have ever been. I fixed everything that I could but didnt know where to set the timing. His jeep manual is at college. Since the timing tab has 0 tdc to 12 degrees, I set it at 6 degrees, I figured that would work ok until he can set it right. The number one cylinder problem is a leak in the intake gasket. I will get intake gaskets in the morning when I get his correct master cylinder. Next time he comes home, it otta be running good when he goes back to college. I know this forum means a lot to him--Thanks guys. theres just one thing.......you Jeep guys are SICK! hahaha I only have 5 Model A Fords and some other old cars---I'm not like you guys! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I hope you mean SICK in a good way, right? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

my last post is SUPPOSED to be humor. I think all of us automobile enthusiasts have a lot in common. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 08:15 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Thanks guys. theres just one thing.......you Jeep guys are SICK! hahaha I only have 5 Model A Fords and some other old cars---I'm not like you guys!

[/ QUOTE ]1. Last year I rescued my daughter from College...
2. I go to stay in the "Barn" at one of her roomates homes...
3. Walked into the Idaho Potato Farm "barn" to find
4. Several Model A's, trucks and 1920's Chevs in process of restoration.
5. I spent half the night helping a farm hand pull out dents on a GM door and work the metal back into shape.
6. Yep, I'm sick... I admit it...
7. But I wouldn't trade it for many other types of sickness on this ol earth...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

<<<<< 7. But I wouldn't trade it for many other types of sickness on this ol earth...>>>>>>You got it right. Even though Jeeps dont excite me as much as old cars and trucks, I admire my son for his desire and enthusiasm to go out of his way to acquire the knowledge needed to keep this old Jeep going and his willingness to get his hands dirty turning wrenches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode