webber 38 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

webber 38

88 yj nuttered tr trw champion truck plugs 45 gap tfi coil 8mm wires no emissions only 2 vaccum lines 4wd vaccum advance webber 38 fuel reg set at 3lbs w/mixture screws 1.25 turns out seems to run very well question w/anyones experience will i need to play w/jets, timming is advaced a little by ear, (counter clockwise is advance right) one more question any one set timming this way vaccum gauage on manifold at idle about 600rpm play w/dist until greatest vaccum then back it off until it drops by onelbs or whatever vaccum is gauaged by
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: webber 38

anyone out there
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 09:58 AM

Hello,

Have you thought about using an adjustable timing light? You can map your entire timing curve very easily. You will be able to tell when your mechanical advance starts to come in and where it ends. The same with your vaccum advance. You will know what the total timing advance is for your application. A vaccum gauge is a valuable tuning item, I see a steady 20 lbs of vaccum at idle in my 258 I-6.

Hope that helps,

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have thought about it , but i hear that every engine runs different and instead of setting the timming to the usual 8degs i thought it might be better to set by total vaccum volume for my engine setup the vaccum timming setting is an old racers trick
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

anyone used this method before
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

anyone have any more input
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im very interested in knowing if anyone has any experience at all with the last post I stated about setting timing with the vaccum of the motor
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 09:07 AM
tkcomer

You could try the power time method. Itís easier if you have an automatic tranny. Two people makes it even easier. Basically what you do is to loosen the distributor and put a small load on the engine. Advance the dist until you hear a spark knock. Retard the dist until it just stops and then go for a ride. You should still have a little spark knock. Just keep backing the dist down a little at a time. You might have to stop 3 or 4 times to get it right. When you do, lock the dist down and your good to go. Just make sure the dist is hooked up to ported vacuum. This is how I used to get older engines to run on junk gas. Iíve also used this method on Chevy engines in which the balancer ring had slipped and you had no timing marks to go by. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode