Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   O/T How to bend shifter? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/156058-o-t-how-bend-shifter.html)

fratt77CJ7 03-01-2003 01:21 PM

O/T How to bend shifter?

I recently swapped out my Qtrac for a Dana 300 and now need to install the shifter. It needs to be bent to fit. I tried heating it w/MAPP gas but could not get it hot enough. I don't have a oxy/acet torch or anything. Am I going to have to take it somewhere? Any garage? Thanks,

LEVE 03-01-2003 01:24 PM

Re: O/T How to bend shifter?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I going to have to take it somewhere? Any garage?

[/ QUOTE ]1. Yep,
2. Make up a stiff wire model of the bends you need,
3. A mom and pop muffler shop should be able to heat it up,
4. And you do the bending!

ozarkjeep 03-01-2003 02:18 PM

you could probably bend it with a big vice, and a 4' or more lentgh of pipe slipped over it?
it would take some brute force, but I would bet it coudl be done.

RedCJ7 03-01-2003 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can probably use 3 sockets and a vice.
Mount two sockets on one side of the jaws in the vice. You can put duck tape around them to keep them in place. Sockets can be about 5" apart. Open jaws wide enoug to place shifter and a 3rd socket in, with the 3rd socket positioned in the middle of the previous two, but on the other jaw (and other side of the shifter). Slowly close the jaws and it should bend. See my attached crude diagram.
HTH

ChrisM 03-01-2003 04:26 PM

Thats exactly how I did it. Big vice and the handle from my jack. Also for one part of the bend I clamped it in the vice and hit it with a 3 lb sledge.

88yjduck 03-02-2003 10:53 AM

I bent mine with a mapp/oxygen torch from Lowes. Once the metal turns red cut off the mapp and just use the oxygen. It will get hot enough to bend cut it in no time.

fratt77CJ7 03-03-2003 09:07 AM

Thanks all. I guess my problems are I don't have an oxy/mapp/acetyl torch (just the little MAPP gas bottle) and/or a big enough vise. I'll either find someone who does or have to buy some more tools (darn [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) Thanks for the help. The toughest part is I need to kind of straighten one part then make a compound bend further up. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get it. Thanks again.

Jeeper99xj 03-03-2003 12:10 PM

we bent my dana 300 shifter with an oxy acc toarch, got it red hot and it bent really easily, took at good 10 different bends to get get it right for my tj so it might be easier just to find a buddy with a toarch and good vice to help you out.

BarrelRoll