Way Outta Control
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: The Palouse
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Very loud engine nouse
1. Listen to see if it's
a. Coming from the front of the engien,
b. Bottom of the engine.
2. Sounds like a rod or main bearing.
3. A timing chain making noise like that would likely kill the engine timing.
4. With the engine running,
5. Pull one spark plug wire off, one cylinder at time.
6. If the noise goes away,
7. You've isolated the problem to that cylinder as
8. The load's been removed.
9. If the noise is still there... put the plug wire back on, and
9. Go on to the next cylinder.