Roof rack/rails mounted directly to hard-top? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Roof rack/rails mounted directly to hard-top?

I need more room to store my skis in my TJ. I'd like to put them up top in a Thule (or similar) hard-plastic ski case. These normally mount to roof rails that are typically found on Explorers, Libertys, and every other SUV. I don't want to put the full rack system on my Jeep. It's too much money, and I only need this for the winter-time. I use the soft-top (or none) in the summer...if it ever comes to NW Pennsylvania this year. I sthe hard-top sturdy enough to mount some roof rails to it? I figured that I could pick these up from a salvage-yard Explorer or other SUV. What do you guys (and gals) think? Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 09:26 PM
Old Hand

Re: Roof rack/rails mounted directly to hard-top?

I belive it will be ok, a buddy(TWC on this board) of mine has a rack on his 87 Wrangler bolted through the top. It looks like ists holding up. Send him an email and ask.

Mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 11:42 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

At one time I had planed to build a roof rack and mount it to the hard top. I think it would be plenty strong to hold a pair of skis and most likely alot more. If drilling the top be sure to use lots of sealer around the holes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 02:31 AM

Unfortunately I don't have pics yet.... But I have had the same dilemma as well....

I went to the junk yard and chose a stock roof rack off of an Explorer.... (The XJ roof rack would work well too)... I decided NOT to go for the Liberty style rack (although more aesthetic)... Choose a rack that rests completely on the roof, all along it's length (better weight spread).... and not one that rests on 2 points like the Liberty....
Cut it and adjust it to your custom application...
Try to have the rack rest as close to the sides as possible since these are stronger than the center.
Cut 2 long rectangular shaped pieces from aluminium or steel sheet metal... and drill them to match holes in the rack... Their purpose is to put them from the inside to spread the forces and avoid having bolts and washers directly onto the hardtop.
You can weld the the nuts onto the 2 piece of sheetmetal for easier bolt on / bolt off....

Hope to have been of help [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I put a full rack on my YJ Hardtop with no problems at all. I bolted the feet righ to the top. And put the bars on those feet. I have put bikes, skis, wood. And a lot of other stuff up there. Holds up great.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 09:19 AM

Tim, all I know is that you better call me to give you hand on this project. I have been sitting around waiting for the that phone call for weeks and my back has fully recovered from duck season (or at least blind removal day)!

P.S. check out the website limk below. They are having a meet and greet at the Lube on March 15, maybe we can go. http://www.eriejeeppeople.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode