electrical problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

electrical problems

well i finally got my new front end. jeep actually looks like an assembled jeep. well i wired up the front and find out my markerlamps and turn signals dont work. taillights and blinkers on the back work just not on the front. they arent getting power. my question is where do i start to look underneath the dash to fix this problem? also i dont have reverse lights. i have tried jumping the switch and that didnt work either. the bulbs are all new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:45 PM
Old Hand

Re: electrical problems

If it was me I'd start at the lights and work my way back to the switch. You may end up under the dash and you might find it before you get there. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 08:32 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Actually, years of being an electrician taught me that with a complicated electrical circuit, start in the middle. Determine which half is the problem and move to the middle if that and so forth. This isn't that complicated a problem though and there are some indicators to help you along.

My first guess, since you said you just installed the front end, is you don't have a ground to it.

Do the turn indicator lights in the speedometer cluster work properly? They connect to the front blinkers so that they don't come on with the brake lights. If they are working, then the circuits under the dash should be good. If they come on with the parking lights, it an indication of a bad ground.

If you haven't found the problem yet, all the wiring for the front lights go to one block connector at the firewall into the back side of the fuse block. Unplug it, get a Chilton or Haynes manual for the schematic and start checking there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

well all my dash lights work and everything to the rear of the vehicle works excluding the reverse lights. the headlights work up front and they are on the same ground as the markerlights becuase its fiberglass. i checked at the firewall and its not getting power to the outside of the jeep. all the fuses are good. where do i go from here? .
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i checked at the firewall and its not getting power to the outside of the jeep. all the fuses are good. where do i go from here?.

[/ QUOTE ]1. Let's work on one thing at a time, and
2. Get it working
3. Then move on to the next problem
4. Since the Side markers are the easiest to troubleshoot, let us start there.
5. The above quote doesn't tell me much, such as
6. Which side of the firewall did you check?
7. Engine Compartment, or
8. Inside?
8. Taz's thought of splitting apart the fuse block is a good one.
a. The inside corrodes,
b. The rivets holding fuse connectors to the split connectors loosen.
c. Both can cause circuits to be lost.
d. Check all the connectors!
e. Make sure the contacts are brite, and tight,
f. When ready to re-assemble,
h. Fill the cavities with Dialectric Grease (spark plug boot grease).
i. This will prevent corrosion, in the future.
10. This should tell you if you've lost the voltage to the front markers at the ourside, or inside of the fuse block assembly.
11. Once we know that, we can go from there.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Official Curmudgeon

So what are we talking about here, a fiberglass one piece front end, or the original steel grille?

I've got the one piece, and the only way I could get a ground to the turn/parking lamps was to pull them out, drill a hole in each one and pop rivet a wire with a Stacon end to it. Even with greasing them, I still had to take them apart, clean them and pop rivet a new Stacon after about 5 years.

Your headlights have a wire that goes to a prong on the back, the turn/parking lamps rely on just touching up against a metal grille. The grille is painted so there is insulation between the metal and the grille and the only screws are the ones that hold the lenses on. Not a good setup. Also, pull the bulbs and clean them and the sockets. Make yourself a small jumper wire and touch it to the brass base on the bulb with it in the socket and the lights on.

You know that you are getting power for the parking lamps because they are in parallel with the rears tail lights which are working. You know the signals are being powered because the indicators in the speedo cluster are working and the front blinkers are in parallel with those. So, either you've got three bad wires and/or connections, or one bad ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode