Air injectors - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Air injectors

I just completed a 4.0 head swap and added Clifford exhaust manifold. I had to remove the air injector pipe because it would not work with the new exhaust. Now there is no place for the air injection because I do not have (or need) a catalytic converter. I tried to get my emissions yesterday and they failed me because I did not have air injection.

Do I have to install a catalytic converter so I can have air injection? Or is there a way to put an air injector in my exhaust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2003, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Air injectors

You could put some kind of air pump running off the engine pulleys, or driven by electric, and make it blow into the exhaust.
BTW: how did your 4.0 head swap go? I might end up doing that myself.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2003, 09:41 PM
legrosteve

How many years do you have to get inspected down their, doesn't it stop at 25. Sounds like it is a great time to move to the mountains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

The head swap went great. I didn't run into any problems and I can tell there is more horsepower.

It would be nice to move to the mountains so I wouldn't have to put up with emissions. It is 25 years before it is a classic and then I think I only have to get emissions every 5 years. I still have to get them now for plates.

I do have the air pump but the manual shows it has to inject air at 5psi at the exhaust ports on the block. I think that the newer Jeeps inject it into the cat. I have an inspection on Monday with the state. I think they are going to make me install a cat and the air pump.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 05:56 PM

That air injection pump is supposed to provide excess air into the exhaust system for a more complete combustion in the cat (i.e. less CO and HC). If you don't have a catalytic converter, the air pump doesn't have much of a purpose except to steal power. The exhaust manifold manufacturer usually offers a manifold with and without air injection port to keep the OE emissions equipment working properly. State inspection stations don't usually look kindly on modifications (such as a performance manifold). You should have probably gotten the one with the port. You can always cap it later. Since you've already installed the manifold it may be hard to swap it now. I see 2 choices:

1) If you still have the original port, weld it onto the new manifold.

2) Remove the air pump and all hardware associated with it, go to another inspection station and hope that they will pass you on clean tailpipe emissions alone.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2003, 07:44 PM

you didn't mention if you failed because of visual or sniff test.If it was a sniff then A cat would be in order,cause just the air pump won't do anything ,as someone posted previously.unless you have something else wrong.
.I am not sure if it would work or not ....but if you got a later model exhaust pipe, the one that hooks to the manifold, with the inlet for the for the pulse air system and hooked all your plubing to that instead of the air injection pipe it would function in the same manner .Just remember to include the check valve to keep exhaust from back pressuring into the pump. But you would still need a cat.
If it is just a visual ...just hook everything back up and fake it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 07:37 AM

In '78 the 49-state sixes did not have a catalyst but did have an air pump. The fresh air in the exhaust manifold oxidized enough hydrocarbons by itself that it didn't need a catalyst. I doubt that they can make you put a catalyst on when it didn't have one from the factory.

The pump output branched into individual tubes that screwed into bosses in the exhaust manifold at each exhaust port.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

I do have the air rail from the old exhaust but it will not work with the new headers. I have an appointment with the state and they will take a look at it and tell me what I have to do to get it legal. The cat was required in '78 for California and high altitudes. Mine does not have the sticker under the hood showing where it is from so they can't require me to have one. We will see what the state says.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 03:15 PM
BigUgly

I can't help you on the straight 6 but, I can tell you that you get it by this inspection and put collector's series plates on it and tell Colorado [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] about their e-tests until you sell the Jeep. Then, you sell it as a tow away, or as is without e-test and the buyer will have to test it. As for the hook up to pass the test, keep it for the next buyer and tell them how to do it. Otherwise, you will need to test it every year here in Colorado. L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2003, 07:14 PM
legrosteve

If you are still having trouble drop me a line maby I can help you out living up here in the mountains.
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode